The streetwear shoes and boots thread...No sneakers please

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Johnny_5, Nov 13, 2008.

1. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

There are chukkas with rubber soles. Just look or chukka boot instead of desert boot. Varvatos always has a bunch of versions every season that are slim chukkas often with a rubber sole and if it's leather sole just get a topy or commando sole put on them. Might want to give ebay a try since a bunch of companies make leather boots with that style and you can always put whatever sole on em' but varvatos would probably have the kinda styling that is most often found in this thread (the weekend boots you can still wear with your buis-cas stuff)

2. FlyingLotus

FlyingLotus Senior member

I'm a noob when it comes to 'dressy' shoes. $300 dollars is the most I would be willing to spend. Are Allen Edmonds a good choice at that price point ? They all seem to be around 290 at Nordstroms... Would I be just as good off buying some $100 shoes from Zara ? I want something I can wear casually, daily.. Something like these maybe.. [​IMG] [​IMG] Any help appretiated!

3. ma1

ma1 Senior member

i wouldnt be caught dead wearing those with jeans or any streetwear for that matter

4. johnH123

johnH123 Senior member

I'm a noob when it comes to 'dressy' shoes. $300 dollars is the most I would be willing to spend. Are Allen Edmonds a good choice at that price point ? They all seem to be around 290 at Nordstroms...
    Would I be just as good off buying some $100 shoes from Zara ?

I want something I can wear casually, daily..

Something like these maybe..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any help appretiated!

Allen Edmonds are a good choice, although in my view they are a bit too sleek and dressy for wear 'casually'. Have you considered wingtips/brogues? These are considered more casual, and go better with denim/casual outfits (I've got a couple pairs of fairly heavy longwings that I wear alot).

5. dtmt

dtmt Senior member

I want something I can wear casually, daily..

There are plenty of good choices in the 150+ pages of this thread.

6. wj4

wj4 Senior member

If you want to buy a pair of AE's, you can wait for them to go on sale at Nordstrom or check Nordy Rack. I got a pair from Rack for around $150. I also have Alden shoes, and I think they are a lot more comfortable than my AE's. The downside is that Aldens don't really go on sale.

I agree with brogues/wing tips. A dark brown pair will be very versatile, can be good with a suit or just a tee shirt/jeans.

The two models posted are just weird IMO. The first one looks unfinished and the second one looks like it has a last of a basketball shoe, too wide up front and the captoe looks unproportional.

7. meso

meso Senior member

Agreed... AEs are not difficult to find. $300 for either of those pairs is pretty crazy. That said, AEs are decent if you can get them cheap.

On a whim I picked up a pair of AE park aves cap toes in black a few months ago because they were on sale for $85 shipped. I wasn't really that excited about them, but they've broken in nicely.

Strangely, I get as many if not more complements on my park aves (what I consider to be pretty boring "business world" shoes) than others that are more unusual/interesting.

8. johnH123

johnH123 Senior member

I get my AEs from ebay, around $50 lightly worn. The idea of wearing pre-worn shoes doesn't bother me.

9. FlyingLotus

FlyingLotus Senior member

I cant seem to find them anywhere less than 200.. Not sure about buying used shoes, If anyone sees any sales lemme know! Could these be worn casually ? [​IMG]

10. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

no. And if you can't find AEs under $200, you aren't trying at all

11. Odd Morsel

Odd Morsel Senior member

no. And if you can't find AEs under $200, you aren't trying at all

This.

Go to shoebuy.com or other e-shop, then hit up retailmenot.com for further discounts.

12. Burra

Burra Active Member

I might need some help with these:

[​IMG][/IMG]

I like the look of the lace to toe, but I am concerned that they will be very stiff and rigid for everyday wear.

Has anyone got a pair of Thorogood Roofers and could comment on how they wear? Or better yet, any pictures of their own?

13. sipang

sipang Senior member

Weird. I always hated monkstraps (sup Jet) but all of a sudden I feel like I absolutely need to find a pair of navy/black suede double.

Something like that (chunky sole optional)

[​IMG]

Any recs ?

14. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

yuck that sole is gross.

15. johnH123

johnH123 Senior member

Weird. I always hated monkstraps (sup Jet) but all of a sudden I feel like I absolutely need to find a pair of navy/black suede double.

Something like that (chunky sole optional)

[​IMG]

Any recs ?

I couldn't imagine that sole working with a 'dressier' shoe, but that picture rather intrigues me. I think Mark McNairy does something similar, albeit I have yet to see any monkstraps.