• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Streetwear Essentials

Debaser

Reaction score
I think a list of core wardrobe items would prove useful to both the unitiated and veteran street-walkers (heh). What are the staples in your collection? Are you a blazer and rumpled dress shirt kind of guy? A hoodie and selvage denim type? List your essentials. Be as brief or complete as you'd like.

jj4

Reaction score
I second. It would be very useful to me (one of the uninitiated)

Brian SD

Reaction score
My "essentials" are:

Jeans 95% of the time. Unwashed is my preference. I also like them tight in the thighs and low rise.

White, Grey, Beige, Blue L/S Thermals from American Apparel to go underneath...

Fitted t-shirts in various neutral tones and some in brighter blues, yellows, etc. - I am a fan of Yoko Devereaux T-Shirts although there are lots of good ways to go (check out the online t-shirt boutiques thread on this forum) I also like a lot of 60s-styled things and just retro in general. There are some sweet Levis Vintage Collection striped shirts, as well as some by A.P.C.

Some sort of wristwear (not necessarily something everyone is into) - I like big leather band watches, and a simple silver bracelet (chain, or whatever) on the other wrist

blazers - fitted, two or three button (mostly two), any material. You can honestly find some great deals at thrift stores for this sort of thing - I have a YSL blazer that's a few years old that I absolutely love, and it cost me $5 at a thrift store.

some prep - I like the occasional polo shirt and button-down oxford

shoes - check out the sneakers thread, my choice is chuck taylor and has been for years. also, some military boots, and suede shoes a la Varvatos are always good, though personally I wear sneakers almost exclusively

other outerwear - never can get enough hoodies, really. military jackets, unusual peacoats, cardigans if that's your thing

reydogg23

Reaction score
Jeans - LRG denim, although Ive got some APC on the way and am looking at some 501 shrink to fits.

Top - T Shirts & Polos pretty much sums it up for me.  For the polos only Ralph Lauren.  For the t shirts its a pretty broad range of brands.  Theres also the occsional button up, rugby or solid sweater for the winter.

Shoes - I pretty much stay in Nikes mostly retro stuff with jeans.  When the summer rolls around and Im in shorts I usually got with running, basketball shoes and Jordans.
For winter Timberlands and Wallabees.

Outerwear - Hoodies, Northface Jacket, Vest & Fleece, and the occasional blazer.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sweaters - I like the half-zip, full-zip or two-way zip sweater, with a stand-up collar. Works on its own, or with a shirt underneath, or with a leather jacket, blazer or overcoat over the top.

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's go bottom up and I'll warn you I have fairly preppy style-
Shoes - As Brian said can't go wrong with Chuck's. I've got a couple pairs of trainers (Reebok Classics, Gola, New Balance), good quality chelsea boots (brown and black), good quality dress-up shoe (I've got a really sweet pair of pointy slip-ons from Mario Giannini) that you can wear out to dinner or with a suit

Pants - Jeans, you want several different washes and styles to add a little variety. I've got everything from a really narrow light denim to heavy fuller cut stuff. I've started to get into cords and love em.' Even if you don't go out or need to dress up a lot you'll still want a good quality pair of dress pants in black or charcoal. I really like slim cut trousers they go well with the pointy shoes...

T-Shirts - get lot's of basics is simple colours (white, black, brown, etc) American Apparel and discount retailers like Winner's, Filiene's Basement, etc. are good for these. Always want to throw in some better ones for showing off. I love the fit and designs of RVCA and Lifetime brands.

Shirts - can never go wrong with a rumpled dress or camp shirt (that's just a short-sleeve collared shirt). I like Rufus, Ben Sherman, and surprisingly Zara has some good stuff. Love polos too, Lacoste being my favourite for fit and finish, however they don't fit a lot of people well.

Sweaters/Hoodies - I love knits, unfortunately before I knew better I purchased a lot of Hugo Boss, still fairly good sweaters, just paid too much for them. Really like hoodies and jackets from Lululemon (it's a yoga company). Have a lot of Mountain Equipment Co-op fleece hoodies and other pieces, great company.

Jackets/Blazers - Love blazers, have a few thrift store ones. An unlined Donna Karen Signature cashmere and angora one being my favourite. If you live anywhere with a winter you always need a good overcoat. Try to get a vintage pea coat, and 3/4 length single breasted coat as well.  I also have a vintage duffel coat (has horn hook and loops instead of buttons) and a snorkel coat (the coat with firm trim around the hood). I also love a good snowboarding jacket. I've got one now from Arson and I just ordered one from Arc'tyrex, sweet company.

Accessories - scarfs are amazing, love wearing a big wool sweater and a scarf instead of jacket in the winter. Can never go wrong with vintage belts and a cool watch.

Hope this helps (it sure was long enough).

A.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Bandanas. On your wrist, in your pocket, on your noggin, wherever. But one at a time, please.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rubber flip-flops. Black, brown, any colors you want...

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Track jackets are essential, and have not yet been mentioned.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
(ken @ April 18 2005,00:00) Bandanas. On your wrist, in your pocket, on your noggin, wherever. But one at a time, please.
You scenester.
Argh, 'tis true.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
(ken @ April 18 2005,01:00) Bandanas. On your wrist, in your pocket, on your noggin, wherever. But one at a time, please.
Like Punky Brewster?
Or like the millions of people that have worn bandanas as utilitarian clothing for hundreds of years. But if you want to associate them w/Punky Brewster, that's fine. She's gorgeous.

PeterMetro

Reaction score
Or like the millions of people that have worn bandanas as utilitarian clothing for hundreds of years. But if you want to associate them w/Punky Brewster, that's fine. She's gorgeous.
Unless you're tilling fields or robbing banks, I fail to see how a bandana is utilitarian.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(ken @ April 18 2005,13:11) Or like the millions of people that have worn bandanas as utilitarian clothing for hundreds of years. But if you want to associate them w/Punky Brewster, that's fine. She's gorgeous.
Unless you're tilling fields or robbing banks, I fail to see how a bandana is utilitarian.
You forgot 'plundering merchant ships in the Carribbean'.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads