• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Straight and Narrow

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A word on what's acceptable and not acceptable in the American workplace and how to determine it.

There is someone I see often and whenever he sees me if he doesn't comment on what I am wearing I know it is perfectly acceptable. If he comments negatively then I know I have on something too bold for him to take. Also, if I get a compliment, I know I've really hit pay dirt for purposes of what is admired by the straight and narrow. But the ne plus ultra is if he can't make fun of an item he doesn't quite understand, then I know it's bullet proof.

He comes from a background that could be cast as an outsider's. And, I think that's valuable because he is fascinated with remaking himself into the power elite. He certainly believes in presentation overcoming background. He always sides with big business no matter what; he dreams in "corporate".

His taste is very reserved but he slavers after the corporate elite so much that I know he sees what's presentably powerful, desirable and part of that cherry paneled world he wants entry to badly.

If you want to know what's acceptable in the American workplace to a critical outsider's eye, you need to find someone like this and somehow get them accustomed to rating your clothes.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A contrary opinion:
straight%20not%20narrow.jpg

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If this is an example of Manton's claims (my sincere apologies if it is not) does it mean that you two know each other?

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is "that guy" a reader of Teh Suit? Is he down with conservative business dress?

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJmanbearpig
Is "that guy" a reader of Teh Suit? Is he down with conservative business dress?
No, hes not a member of the 300 club but strangely, he knows who Mr. Kabbaz is and expresses an interest in getting shirts made. However this guy would never spend more than $40 on a shirt.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kuro
If this is an example of Manton's claims (my sincere apologies if it is not) does it mean that you two know each other?

This one ain't about me, I can say that with confidence.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If this is an example of Manton's claims (my sincere apologies if it is not)
My dear Kuro, no apologies necessary none of us, including myself, know what passages contain cryptic messages about him until he translates them for us.
smile.gif
does it mean that you two know each other?
I have never had the pleasure of his introduction.
smile.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
I have never had the pleasure of his introduction.
smile.gif

But you see me on the train every day, right? You drive two stops out of your way just to get on my train, to get a glimpse of what I am wearing. Right? Even though you don't even work in the city.

Right?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
But do you know each other? If so, and your allegations are true, I have a new perspective on the e-swipes.

We don't know each other. He has in the past claimed that he sees me on my commuter train, but I find this to be implausible, to say the least. The train I take in the morning originates after his stop, and in the evening ends before his stop. Which means, for his claim to be true, he would have to go out of his way to a different stop, all for the pleasure of seeing me. Then there is the inconvenient fact that he does not commute to the city.

Also, having seen his clothes from a number of posts, I can say with confidence that he would stand out on my train, or any train, and there is no way I would miss him. I haven't seen him.

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
We don't know each other. He has in the past claimed that he sees me on my commuter train, but I find this to be implausible, to say the least. The train I take in the morning originates after his stop, and in the evening ends before his stop. Which means, for his claim to be true, he would have to go out of his way to a different stop, all for the pleasure of seeing me. Then there is the inconvenient fact that he does not commute to the city.

Also, having seen his clothes from a number of posts, I can say with confidence that he would stand out on my train, or any train, and there is no way I would miss him. I haven't seen him.

I think I've seen you on my train a few times. Maybe we should start a "Manton Sighting" club like with Elvis sightings. Most bizarre Manton sighting wins. It's ok, we'll throw away any submissions from The Manhole.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think it's dubious to rely on the one colleague who openly comments on your clothes as an authority on what is acceptable or beneficial in your workplace. In my personal experience, the people most likely to do so are extremely unlikeable and only comment in order to draw attention to some positive quality of their own or wipe the chip off their shoulders.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads