• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of the Royal Wardrobe

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or how to welcome a new Royal Baby:

Victoria future Edward VII & Geo V and Edward VIII.jpg

Late 19th Century - Queen Victoria with the future Edward VII, his son the future George V and his son the future Duke of Windsor and briefly Edward VIII.

6C8364779-tdy-130712-Diana-Phillip-1_today-inline-large.jpg

1980s - The Prince and Princess of Wales

royal-baby-prince-harry-announcement-video-1557155044.jpg

Yesterday - A scruffy bloke in a jumper

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think that was just the night the baby was born (his attire seems reasonable for that, tbh). Today was the family's first public appearance with the baby and he seems just as well dressed as the other examples.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-48201625

_106840504_squareimage.jpg

Thomson

Reaction score
I think that was just the night the baby was born (his attire seems reasonable for that, tbh). Today was the family's first public appearance with the baby and he seems just as well dressed as the other examples.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-48201625

View attachment 1172576

To the general public, probably.

Personally I find him to be averagely well dressed, at best. I am no monarchist by any stretch of the imagination but I‘d prefer it if the younger generation of the royal family looked more regal. But it doesn’t matter much, at some stage they will all be a bunch of actresses and actors and their off-spring. Won’t be so easy to justify royal status then though.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To the general public, probably.

Personally I find him to be averagely well dressed, at best. I am no monarchist by any stretch of the imagination but I‘d prefer it if the younger generation of the royal family looked more regal. But it doesn’t matter much, at some stage they will all be a bunch of actresses and actors and their off-spring. Won’t be so easy to justify royal status then though.
Yes, even though I was deliberately overstating my case (of a decline in standards), I am with @Thomson on this. Neither of the 'young' princes look regal to me. I heard the BBC reporter describe the way this birth was handled as very 'modern' - a word used many times in the report...

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I agree, I wish he dressed more regally, just because it would be nice to see (from a purely visual standpoint). But I also think the Royal family's increasingly dressed down norms is part of a bigger and more important process of increasing liberal norms. The same attitude that allows him to shed century-old Royal dress is the same attitude that allows him to marry Meghan, Duchess of Sussex.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree, I wish he dressed more regally, just because it would be nice to see (from a purely visual standpoint). But I also think the Royal family's increasingly dressed down norms is part of a bigger and more important process of increasing liberal norms. The same attitude that allows him to shed century-old Royal dress is the same attitude that allows him to marry Meghan, Duchess of Sussex.

Agree with you. Always like your posts.

The man just had a baby, he ain't worried about looking sharp. Got other **** to attend to

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
1171966-a5d6d8871e8b461cdb406e4bff7f7c11.jpg

Late 19th Century: the Duke of Windsor in full newborn regalia and a neck ruff

1171967-7c1473f2ec9cf47a34759e4920647ab9.jpg

1980s: Prince William in a hand knitted, cashmere Savile Row wrap with traditional British doilies design

_106840504_squareimage.jpg

This last week: Archie in a commoner's plain cotton weave cloth

smdh

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
His Brother did not wear a tie with any of his three Kids. But a j. Crew suit was kind of surprising. Hopefully they learn about discount codes at Eton.
Screenshot_20190512-074223.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads