1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The State of Cocktail Attire: Your Observations.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by J011yroger, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

I'd take it to mean the shirt is simply too loose. Should be a bit more fitted.

2. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

I don't understand the combination of a white dress shirt (other than an OCBD or perhaps linen button down) with denim. Seems incongruous in terms of formality to me (and yes, I know it is done a lot).

3. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

I meant that I don't like the placket to flop around when a few buttons are undone.

I know, not really classic menswear material.

J

4. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Denim isn't just denim in the modern world. There's manual labour denim, and there's stylish denim. Dark indigo slim jeans and a white shirt is a modern classic for day or night. Not too dressy, not too casual.

5. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

My personal perspective is that in the CM world denim has its little category, right below chinos; in the non CM world denim spans many more categories.

I own around 50 pairs of jeans, as a European auto mechanic I wear jeans to work, and if it isn't busy at the shop I won't even bother to change into my uniform.

On the other end of the spectrum in my 20s (and even now at the ripe old age of 31.8) I wore jeans out at night more often than not. Certain nice clubs had no denim policies, and I won't wear them anywhere that requires a jacket and tie. I've worn jeans with an unbuttoned white dress shirt, velvet jacket, and black Chelsea boots on new years eve.

So my jeans go from pulling the engine out of a car to new years eve, but they are all very different. I keep a lot of my clothes on bookshelves, and have the jeans organized from work to dress. The work ones are 10-15 year old levis that are form fitted to me and frayed at the cuffs and pockets, the dress ones are nicer and more expensive than the full dress trousers from my white tie rig.

The ones I'd wear with a white dress shirt to a lounge in the city are different from the ones I'd wear with a sweater vest, tie, and tweed jacket or navy blazer.

Oddly, I'll never wear a jacket and tie with jeans unless I have a sweater or vest on. I don't think it looks good without the waist covered.

I rarely do the white shirt thing simply because I have so many beautiful shirts for going out on the town, so generally only do so if I want the centerpiece of my outfit to be my jacket.

I'm by no means proclaiming expertise, just trying to explain how I see denim as a 30 something equally at home covered in transmission fluid or in a tuxedo.

J

6. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

^ Understand that denim can cover a wide variety of roles in contemporary culture and that there are a lot of different styles of jeans. It's more that to me the white spread collar dress shirt (the item that I actually think is more limited in function) is the pinnacle of formality and is something I only wear with a suit or blazer and greys (not even with most jackets and ties). So even if jeans can cover a lot of possible social interactions, I'm not sure they go that far. I can see jeans with a nice tweed odd jacket and an OCBD (which even in white has a more casual appearance). I appreciate your thoughts on the above, though.

7. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

I would wear a point collar, not a spread if I were to go sans tie.

Without jacket the points give the vertical component which are missing due to the lack of lapels, and with a jacket the points still make it over to the lapel because of the unbuttoned shirt.

J

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  8. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

I have a dark grey striped pair I like with my brown velvet jacket. I think that could look too much like morning dress with black. Solid grey is safe, but I might be inclined toward black - not dinner trousers, just black pants. You could do charcoal solid as well, I think, or even flip things around and get burgundy, or bottle green pants to go with the black jacket.

9. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

Cool idea. My cream formal vest looks amazing with the black velvet, but it looks off without neckwear on a white shirt.

Any ideas for a tie?

I have a black formal shirt that I'll try, but it might look like hell.

J

10. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Have you tried a black four in hand? Maybe a jewel tone? Or cream, perhaps. Maybe knit silk. I can't decide if you want high sheen or low.

11. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

I'd say high since it is night and I'm pairing with velvet and silk.

J

12. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

They seem more appropriate to the day, to me, but not inappropriate for the evening in dark colours.

Your shirt may be too long, fit untucked, if that's what we are taking about. If we are taking about at/below the collar, is the collar stiff? I think the is a set spot between so light it is flimsy, and so heavy out weighs itself down. I've anastasia did it is pretty much related to thickness of the masterial. I assume you're pressing it fresh. If that fails, starch becomes your friend.

How does it fit in the body? I agree that, if too loose, it has more room to move around, be pulled when you move your arms. Once it splays, game over in my experience; you won't fix it that night..

13. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

I either agree completely, or wool find you, altogether, too shiny.

14. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

Tried on a bunch of stuff tonight and decided to wear some out for science.

Ended up wearing black Chelsea boots, black jeans, a black twill vest, a pink shirt with red accent stitching and MoP buttons, and a black velvet blazer with a pink silk poof in the pocket.

So far I've gotten some odd looks in Target when I went to get some Oxy-clean.

J

15. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Target? I thought you were in Europe?

16. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member