• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyway, continue to wear your style, it looks very good and elegant. It happened to me in the opera wearing a tuxedo, that people asked me to bring a drink, because they thought I belong to the staff ?.
That often happens to me... :-/

Reactions: psb

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember going to The Nutcracker years ago. I was asking around as to whether it might be an excuse to dust off the tux. I decided against it and was glad I did as the only people there in black tie were the waiters and door staff.

psb

Reaction score
If you are in black tie and people think you are a waiter either they are stupid or you're doing it wrong.
Unfortunately there are always stupid people around, also in the opera ?

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are in black tie and people think you are a waiter either they are stupid or you're doing it wrong.
I mean I get it if you’re wearing like a cream dinner jacket as they seem to come off as waiterish...but the last time someone thought I was the waiter/usher I was in a classic three piece sbpl...takes a funny look from me before ppl realise their mistake

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So I was wearing this rig tonight and went to get gas...whilst paying for fuel the attendant asked me ‘who are you driving tonight?’ So much facepalm...such epic fail
Next time, show more cuff on the right wrist. Should take care of it.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyway, continue to wear your style, it looks very good and elegant. It happened to me in the opera wearing a tuxedo, that people asked me to bring a drink, because they thought I belong to the staff ?.

I’d tell them I would be right back with their beverage and then walk away. ?

psb

Reaction score
I’d tell them I would be right back with their beverage and then walk away. ?
You just need to have a good sense of humor and every thing is fine :cool:

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I spent the last 8 days aboard a cruise ship, which for my wife and I means 7 evenings dressing for dinner. She, of course, had 7 dresses. My dinner attire, on the other hand, takes up more room, so I made do with 3 dinner jackets plus my Edward Sexton cocktail jacket which can pull double duty as a dinner jacket if I tuck in the pocket flaps, four shirts, two pairs of trousers (black and midnight), plus assorted accessories. By the end of the cruise we lost count of the number of people who came up to her or the both of us to tell us they had looked forward to seeing what she was wearing each evening. We had a lot of fun with it each evening, with dinner, cocktails, and dancing. Cruise life!

First evening out of port:

We had a great week! Cream tea every afternoon, dinner and dancing every night!

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That often happens to me... :-/
I was going to say this never happens to me, but on the cruise we took last week, two people asked us, while we were dressed for dinner, if we were cruise ambassadors. We took it as a compliment.
This.
I mean I get it if you’re wearing like a cream dinner jacket as they seem to come off as waiterish...but the last time someone thought I was the waiter/usher I was in a classic three piece sbpl...takes a funny look from me before ppl realise their mistake
I have never been mistaken for a waiter, even in my cream dinner jacket.
I remember going to The Nutcracker years ago. I was asking around as to whether it might be an excuse to dust off the tux. I decided against it and was glad I did as the only people there in black tie were the waiters and door staff.
Not something I ever concern myself about.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I spent the last 8 days aboard a cruise ship, which for my wife and I means 7 evenings dressing for dinner. She, of course, had 7 dresses. My dinner attire, on the other hand, takes up more room, so I made do with 3 dinner jackets plus my Edward Sexton cocktail jacket which can pull double duty as a dinner jacket if I tuck in the pocket flaps, four shirts, two pairs of trousers (black and midnight), plus assorted accessories. By the end of the cruise we lost count of the number of people who came up to her or the both of us to tell us they had looked forward to seeing what she was wearing each evening. We had a lot of fun with it each evening, with dinner, cocktails, and dancing. Cruise life!

First evening out of port:

We had a great week! Cream tea every afternoon, dinner and dancing every night!
Smashing!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads