• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

steezin

Reaction score
You can if you want to. Personally, I think it's regrettable. Assuming you've got your own tuxedo, why wouldn't you buy a decent shirt to go with it?

Thanks. I am just wondering why it seems to be a trend for typically well dressed celebrities to do this, despite their infinite budgets.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I am just wondering why it seems to be a trend for typically well dressed celebrities to do this, despite their infinite budgets.
Because proper tuxedos (not my opinion) are boring, and don't stand out. Lots of celebrity culture is about doing just that.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I quite like my heavy cream linen cocktail cuff shirts as my dinner shirts...they have regular buttons but that's because i dislike cufflinks or studs...saying that I'm having one linen shirt with french cuffs made

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand traditionally the shirts have stud or covered buttons, however I have seen many people wear normal mother of pearl buttons, including Prince William, David Beckham etc.
My Budd silk evening shirt has buttons.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's just convenience and lack of time. When I've done it it was always because I didn't think ahead and get the shirt sorted in time. I found it surprisingly hard to source a decent RTW shirt in a pinch. My tailor's current turnaround time is measured in months...

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Budd silk evening shirt has buttons.
Sewn in or on a strip?

My three Budd shirts are made to take studs. But they'll make the shirt any way you want it.

psb

Reaction score
What does the community here think about wearing a dark blue velvet tuxedo jacket in combination with black trousers ? And what color should a cummerbund have for this combination ? Black or dark blue bow tie ?

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What does the community here think about wearing a dark blue velvet tuxedo jacket in combination with black trousers ? And what color should a cummerbund have for this combination ? Black or dark blue bow tie ?
I think the fabric and color contrast would look good

Reactions: psb

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I was wearing this rig tonight and went to get gas...whilst paying for fuel the attendant asked me ‘who are you driving tonight?’ So much facepalm...such epic fail

Attachments

• 4F431B34-0B1F-4988-AB7A-EB08788AB387.jpeg
    4F431B34-0B1F-4988-AB7A-EB08788AB387.jpeg
    78.6 KB · Views: 147

psb

Reaction score
So I was wearing this rig tonight and went to get gas...whilst paying for fuel the attendant asked me ‘who are you driving tonight?’ So much facepalm...such epic fail
Anyway, continue to wear your style, it looks very good and elegant. It happened to me in the opera wearing a tuxedo, that people asked me to bring a drink, because they thought I belong to the staff ?.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads