• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Half the people I meet think I’m either the waiter (events and restaurants) or the door usher (ballet, symphonies and the opera) when I am in black tie. I currently live in Australia. I think if I wore a velvet jacket they’d probably think I’m in a tux

Winot

Reaction score
New dress shirt from Sean O’Flynn
24F2D8F7-18CD-4318-A29C-031F1FCDAE3C.jpeg
C1ABA7C2-4FF4-4843-93B7-1B2F77DAF70C.jpeg

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Interesting solution, that.

Is he still doing the Huntsman shirts, or have they found another source?

Winot

Reaction score
Interesting solution, that.

Is he still doing the Huntsman shirts, or have they found another source?

Not sure. He seems quite busy. The buttons are on a tape BTW so can be removed.

Winot

Reaction score
That's an interesting bib. I'm not sure about the matching collar and cuffs, but that's just a matter of taste. Very nice indeed.

I must admit I was slightly surprised to see the collar in the ribbed fabric as I had forgotten that was what we agreed. But I checked my Marcella shirt that he made a few years back and it is the same with matching collar and cuffs. I'm sure I will get used to it.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I must admit I was slightly surprised to see the collar in the ribbed fabric as I had forgotten that was what we agreed. But I checked my Marcella shirt that he made a few years back and it is the same with matching collar and cuffs. I'm sure I will get used to it.
Yeah, matching collar and cuffs is standard for a marcella-front shirt. Your shirt seems closer to a pleated shirt, which was why I wasn't sure about it. But I think it's distinctive and could work really well in context.

Winot

Reaction score
Yeah, matching collar and cuffs is standard for a marcella-front shirt. Your shirt seems closer to a pleated shirt, which was why I wasn't sure about it. But I think it's distinctive and could work really well in context.

Thank you. We did start with the idea of going pleated, and the end result was Sean's suggested variant.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Colin Hammick fitting room— makes me think it is really thin with a serious coat hanger.

Although he was, with reason, much respected for his work there. From what I understand, he basically invented what we know as the Huntsman silhouette. Which fit him perfectly!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads