• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

nosch455

Reaction score
I saw he has both buckle and tie-back and now I’m torn. I love the idea of the tie-back - feels very heritage - but the excess material and bulge does concern me a bit. In addition to my regular tux, I’d be wearing this under a white silk unlined DJ. Anyone have a photo of how much material in the back we’re talking about?

psb

Reaction score
I was invited for a wedding today and decided to wear black tie.

DSC06492 (2).JPG
DSC06494 (2).JPG
DSC06495 (2).JPG
DSC06493 (2).JPG
DSC06500 (2).JPG

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice. What's the jacket made from that the sleeves are so rumpled, though?
Heavy Irish linen. 480-500 grams...I already have 3 classic jackets thought I’d go for something unusual. The idea was to have it triple as a suit and sports coat too

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heavy Irish linen. 480-500 grams...I already have 3 classic jackets thought I’d go for something unusual. The idea was to have it triple as a suit and sports coat too
Ah, okay. The rumples make sense then. :)

nosch455

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there's any appreciable difference between these two pocket squares (and care to make a decision for me haha):
One is a brighter white with a coarser texture, the other is a slightly off-white cotton/linen blend

psb

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there's any appreciable difference between these two pocket squares (and care to make a decision for me haha):
One is a brighter white with a coarser texture, the other is a slightly off-white cotton/linen blend

For my optinion there is a difference. It depends on the color of the shirt, that you intend to wear. The ps should match the color of the shirt as close as possible. A structured fabrics for the ps looks a bit more interesting.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I doubt that you can go wrong with either. I'd probably lean toward the Belgian linen one, myself. Note, though, that they are both full-size pocket squares and are likely to be on the bulkier side in your pocket. For use with a dinner jacket, I prefer to get a smaller square that can be folded without being too bulky. Take a look at Simonnot-Godard's smaller squares, for example.

nosch455

Reaction score
I doubt that you can go wrong with either. I'd probably lean toward the Belgian linen one, myself. Note, though, that they are both full-size pocket squares and are likely to be on the bulkier side in your pocket. For use with a dinner jacket, I prefer to get a smaller square that can be folded without being too bulky. Take a look at Simonnot-Godard's smaller squares, for example.

Ah great note. The chest bulge has always bothered me with tuxes. I’ll ask David if he can make it 10x10in instead

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah great note. The chest bulge has always bothered me with tuxes. I’ll ask David if he can make it 10x10in instead
That's a good idea.

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen:

I know many of you would not, but to those of you who would wear this, what trousers would you wear with this dinner jacket?

It's a lightly patterned black.

Attachments

• received_475218663028383.jpeg
    received_475218663028383.jpeg
    30.9 KB · Views: 85
Reactions: psb

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen:

I know many of you would not, but to those of you who would wear this, what trousers would you wear with this dinner jacket?

It's a lightly patterned black.
Regular tuxedo trousers.

ababac

Reaction score
i picked up my new mtm dinner jacket this morning, and hastily threw on the rest so my lady could take a couple of pictures before i had to get myself back to work.

super 150s wool, woven on a silk loom with a design from the '80s. looks more '60s to me, which is why i like it.
also it feels lovely and light and smooth, which is a nice contrast to the rough barathea of my mohair trousers.

ignore the red bit dangling down my leg, i haven't quite finished constructing my cummerbund experiment yet.

IMG_20190913_111138.jpg

IMG_20190913_111159.jpg

IMG_20190913_111207.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads