• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@iurvox That is... surprising, to say the least, that your tailor either didn't ask you about the button configuration or just put two on your jacket by default. The thing is, though, I doubt even one person (other than you) noticed. I would wager that if you asked ten people what "makes" a tuxedo, nine would say something like "a black suit and a bowtie." The vast majority of people don't know or care about the "rules" associated with them (one button, no vents, stripe on the pants, etc.). Hell, half the people at black tie events now wear a necktie instead of a bowtie anyway.

I love the midnight blue/shawl look, but a black tux is slightly more "standard" in the sense its more likely that a wedding party that requires a black tux as opposed to a midnight blue tux. If you know that you're weddings don't care either way, i say go for the midnight blue and get something relatively unique.

Agreed, but make damn sure that it's okay if you're in a wedding party. The last thing you want is a Bridezilla or the groom's stressed-out mother throwing a tantrum because you "tried to upstage" the groom/bride/wedding party/priest/shaman/in-laws/whatever.

Black covers everything. Make that your first.

This. There's a reason the usual advice is, well, the usual when people ask about staples and the first building blocks to a classic men's wardrobe. If asking about business suits, you will be advised to get charcoal and solid navy, at a minimum, before branching out to more interesting stripes, windowpanes, etc. The same goes with this first tuxedo. You can't go wrong with black, and it will always be appropriate, regardless of how conservative the venue or event is.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just when you thought you had seen (almost) everything, this appears on eBay.

Screen Shot 2019-08-18 at 4.15.28 PM.jpeg

Yes, it's a white pique shirt with a button down collar, French cuffs, and what looks like variable size pleats (and it's my size).

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I hope that was MTM. Better with a shawl, in either case.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just when you thought you had seen (almost) everything, this appears on eBay.

View attachment 1226133

Yes, it's a white pique shirt with a button down collar, French cuffs, and what looks like variable size pleats (and it's my size).

The Black Fleece logo seems to be the label in the shirt, and the influence of Thom Browne could explain the multiple oddities about the garment.

DevilsOwn

Reaction score
I'm currently getting a 6 close on 2 DB 4 and a half inch peak lapel dinner suit made. Very stark black wool that's hard to make appear pale with satin on the jetted pockets, trouser galons and gauntlet cuffs (and of course the lapels). It will be ventless, fairly low gorge with satin covered buttons and with it I intend to wear a white pique pocket square, a thin swiss pleat turndown shirt with antique dark MOP, seed pearl and white gold cufflinks and studs, patent leather oxfords (though these are much on the duller side of patent leather), a butterfly bowtie, and a carnation boutonniere. I will send a picture when it's finished for you all.

nosch455

Reaction score
He recently started making cummerbunds. I have had one made for me...well remade to be exact. My grandma made one for me before she passed that was falling apart and I had David refurbish and remake it for me
(I apologize for digging up a post from 3 months ago) How does his sizing for cummerbunds work? Looks like he has two options: brass clip adjustable and one with no hardware. Is the non-adjustable a tie-back?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
(I apologize for digging up a post from 3 months ago) How does his sizing for cummerbunds work? Looks like he has two options: brass clip adjustable and one with no hardware. Is the non-adjustable a tie-back?

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The one I had made is a tie back. I just gave him my waist size and we went from there. So mine was essentially a silk sash (think one of those martial art belts)

dan'l

Reaction score
Weird, I was actually perusing the Sam Hober website last night and saw those tie-back cummerbunds and wondered how they work! Do you just tie a knot, then? Won’t there be a bulge under your coat from the knot?

DevilsOwn

Reaction score
I suspect in the right fit with a tight enough knot it would be too small to be an issue. That inherently makes a proper fit important however

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Weird, I was actually perusing the Sam Hober website last night and saw those tie-back cummerbunds and wondered how they work! Do you just tie a knot, then? Won’t there be a bulge under your coat from the knot?
Not really. I have a disproportionately big bum (so I have my jackets cut slightly bigger in the waist) combined with a spinal curve so the knot rests on top of the bum so no fit issues here. I prefer it over the adjustable buckles. It’s definitely different

iurvox

Reaction score
Not really. I have a disproportionately big bum (so I have my jackets cut slightly bigger in the waist) combined with a spinal curve so the knot rests on top of the bum so no fit issues here. I prefer it over the adjustable buckles. It’s definitely different
Using self-knot cummerbund as well (made by Hober). I have to say it is a very nice ritual to self-tie the knot behind one's own back. It really signals to your spine that there is a special occasion coming up, if that makes sense. Think of muscle memory: You just do not get to perform those motions in any other event.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Using self-knot cummerbund as well (made by Hober). I have to say it is a very nice ritual to self-tie the knot behind one's own back. It really signals to your spine that there is a special occasion coming up, if that makes sense. Think of muscle memory: You just do not get to perform those motions in any other event.
Agreed

dan'l

Reaction score
Interesting! I have a waistcoat with my black tie rig, but now I’m tempted to try the tie-back cummerbund!

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For your summer DJ.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads