• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’d suggest black calf oxfords or pumps, Andy. White bucks with black tie just seems...not a good idea. Although you of all people could probably pull it off.
I agree, white bucks just don't feel right at all. But I was reacting to my own dislike of black shoes with white trousers. I'll have to try my patents with the trousers I have in mind. Perhaps I'll like it better in practice.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Patent used to be a very labour intensive process; repeated scrubbing of the surface of very fine calf leather with talc until the grain was as dry as you could make it, then coating with a heavily reduced and thickened oil that had been heating over a fire for a few days could bond with the oil free leather. That’s not been done for a long time now, and today a plastic coating is bonded to the surface. The surface quality isn’t so important for this lamination so cow hides rather than calf are used.

I have a couple of old stock patent calfskins knocking around somewhere for when I feel like going to the opera again, and will require the correct shoes

Are there detectable degrees of quality in patent supply, or is everyone harvesting the same plastic cow from Milton Keynes?

Meaning, is there any point besides proper fit and elegant heels to go bespoke on this? Still wondering if I should learn to do a gloss finish on calf and give up worrying about the patent shine.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Patent used to be a very labour intensive process; repeated scrubbing of the surface of very fine calf leather with talc until the grain was as dry as you could make it, then coating with a heavily reduced and thickened oil that had been heating over a fire for a few days could bond with the oil free leather. That’s not been done for a long time now, and today a plastic coating is bonded to the surface. The surface quality isn’t so important for this lamination so cow hides rather than calf are used.

I have a couple of old stock patent calfskins knocking around somewhere for when I feel like going to the opera again, and will require the correct shoes
Thank you for the informative post. Any chance we could see plastic/old style side by side? I've always wondered what came before the plastic, and whether it looked much different.

ntempleman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The old stuff was also “plastic” in as much as a plastic being nothing more than a malleable hardened oil based substance. It was just made a less efficient way. I’ve only ever seen old sample shoes made from it, I’d expect all hides are long gone, and the coating has migrated in many places on the surface of those shoes. The leather feels softer and thinner than used today, almost like a kidskin but the glacé and appearance is much smoother than glacé kid

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The old stuff was also “plastic” in as much as a plastic being nothing more than a malleable hardened oil based substance. It was just made a less efficient way. I’ve only ever seen old sample shoes made from it, I’d expect all hides are long gone, and the coating has migrated in many places on the surface of those shoes. The leather feels softer and thinner than used today, almost like a kidskin but the glacé and appearance is much smoother than glacé kid
I sent you an email, but I found I have three different email addresses for you! :blush:

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here are a couple of illustrations of the “Reverse” summer combination we were discussing before:

428C098F-8D1B-4E10-9616-E4138DC9CF7F.jpeg

As you will notice in the one image he’s clearly wearing black pumps and hosiery. The other image is less clear. Could those be black and white spectators? Seems odd. Maybe just light reflection off the patent.

Also, notice that the dinner jackets both have brass buttons. Lol. No thanks.

Overall a very cool look. A Midnight Tuxedo is on my agenda for next year. Just need a pair of uncuffed cream trousers to pair with the jacket.

Attachments

• 760E22B5-05C2-41F8-A7D1-034963639B8F.jpeg
    760E22B5-05C2-41F8-A7D1-034963639B8F.jpeg
    180.4 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
First not visible. Interesting problem-- how blue the jacket, and to go for black lapels? And what about those blazer buttons? Hmmm...

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes. Had trouble with the images. Should be in there now but as a thumbnail.

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First not visible. Interesting problem-- how blue the jacket, and to go for black lapels? And what about those blazer buttons? Hmmm...

I thought Black lapel were the standard on midnight blue dinner jackets? I agree on the buttons. Maybe it is time for someone to create the SF blazer tux..

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember seeing a Scholte sketch of a double-breasted dinner jacket made for the Duke of with black sunken anchor buttons. They were similar to peacoat buttons but domed-shaped instead of flat. I have considered playing around with the idea myself.

Last edited:

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are a couple of illustrations of the “Reverse” summer combination we were discussing before:

As you will notice in the one image he’s clearly wearing black pumps and hosiery.
I'll see what I can put together in this vein when we get home later this month.

Meanwhile, in London:
IMG_3007.jpg

That was Sunday evening in Covent Garden, at Clos Maggiore. And then on Thursday, refining the art of the elevator selfie:
IMG_3083.jpg

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Now, that is a classic cut.

The black suit is also very nice.

dan'l

Reaction score
Is it just me, or is Mesut’s bowtie a tad too wide? Overall look is great, but I thought the bowtie ends should be about cheek width.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads