• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excellent stuff but minor quibble, the wings should (historically) go above or in front of the tie, like:

British+Premier+Sir+Neville+Chamberlain.jpg

(from the amazing Marina Amaral)

I shall continue my hopeless crusade endlessly...

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With no judgement attached to anyone feeling differently, I cannot begin to fathom feeling badly about being overdressed. The biggest drawback (from my experience) is being complimented by strangers, and receiving exceptional service, presumably because waiters assume the nicely dressed schmo will tip well.

I only wish I'd owned a proper tux/dinner jacket when I lived in San Diego. Wearing that out in PB would have been hilarious.

Swaggle

Reaction score
With no judgement attached to anyone feeling differently, I cannot begin to fathom feeling badly about being overdressed. The biggest drawback (from my experience) is being complimented by strangers, and receiving exceptional service, presumably because waiters assume the nicely dressed schmo will tip well.

I only wish I'd owned a proper tux/dinner jacket when I lived in San Diego. Wearing that out in PB would have been hilarious.

Lol I concur! It's better to be overdressed than "underdressed".

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of introducing some black watch to break up the monotony of black tie.

2 possibilities:

1. black watch dinner jacket with black waistcoat and pants

2. Black dinner jacket with blackwatch waistcoat and pants

Which do you recommend? Or is black watch a no go? Thanks.
I'd really like a blackwatch (or other tartan) dinner jacket with non-black tie lapels. I recall Vox having a tartan, shawl lapel DJ that looked great from what I saw.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of you are likely aware that my wedding is rapidly approaching, and I have mentioned on various occasions that I am struggling with what to wear. At a base level, I am wearing a tuxedo. That is easy. And although I have a tuxedo that I wear, it is getting ratty (and not in the good, rat-pack sort of way). Initially, I though that Eidos may be an option - particular Eidos cuts are very flattering on me. However, I would have to go MTO and the wedding is a bit too close to rely on that option. I thought about Formosa, but the fit has not been 100% on me lately. I thought about Ring Jacket, but my last experience with Ring Jacket was not great in terms of fit either.

Thus, I was at the point where I was going to go with Suit Supply. They have a classicly-detailed tuxedo, it is moderately inexpensive, and it would get the job done. I have a couple Suit Supply suits, and have no qualms with them.

Then, I got to looking around at a few of my friends' wedding albums. I was sort of shocked by how lovely the bride and bridesmaids were and how frumpy the groom and groomsmen were. And then I thought to myself - if I glance through my friends' wedding albums with moderate frequency, how often will I look at my own wedding album? Do I really want to look like this at my own wedding (look familiar, CM?)?

176.JPG

This is all to say that I intend to commission a bespoke tuxedo from Chris. Still deciding between midnight blue and black. However, it will consist of a single breasted jacket with peak lapels no vents and jetted pockets and silk facings, pleated pants with no cuffs, and with a shawl collar low-cut vest (hopefully double breasted) (pretty much like that Vox pic).

I am very excited about this new project.

View attachment 812948

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 812947

This is all to say that I intend to commission a bespoke tuxedo from Chris. Still deciding between midnight blue and black. However, it will consist of a single breasted jacket with peak lapels no vents and jetted pockets and silk facings, pleated pants with no cuffs, and with a shawl collar low-cut vest (hopefully double breasted) (pretty much like that Vox pic).

I am very excited about this new project.

View attachment 812948

Until I find the righteous one, COMPUTER BLUE!!!

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Newc, obviously it won't be to you since you presumably sweat the details, but you look pretty solid in that pic, notch lapels and pre-tied bow (I think?) notwithstanding. You could do much worse...but, of course, to say you could do much better with Despos is like saying Deron Williams could have been better in the Finals (sorry Six :D). That is to say...DUH.

Look forward to seeing it come to fruition...shantung facings would be some sorta sexy

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Until I find the righteous one, COMPUTER BLUE!!!

If Prince cannot convince me, who can? Chris is sending me swatches of both.

Just two words for you Newc: shantung facings.

Looking forward to the pics!

Thanks bud! Shantung facings, while intriguing, will probably get nixed this go around. I will one day have a shantung dinner jacket though.

Newc, obviously it won't be to you since you presumably sweat the details, but you look pretty solid in that pic, notch lapels and pre-tied bow (I think?) notwithstanding. You could do much worse...but, of course, to say you could do much better with Despos is like saying Deron Williams could have been better in the Finals (sorry Six :D). That is to say...DUH.

Look forward to seeing it come to fruition...shantung facings would be some sorta sexy

Believe it or not, this is straight from the wearhouse of men. Just have to hike up the pants, and properly adjust the cummerbund. They will try to get you to wear your pants around your hips, and you just have to ignore them. I found I can make this tuxedo (the vera wang black collection, ugh) look fairly decent. I think this could be a fun commission, and I do have occasion to wear black tie.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
like saying Deron Williams could have been better in the Finals (sorry Six :D).

I knew he was washed, I just wasn't sure how washed. He actually put up decent /minute numbers when he was on the court last year before the finals. I'll be interested to see what he can do when in shape. But until proven otherwise, I'm going to believe that he's so washed.

Thanks bud! Shantung facings, while intriguing, will probably get nixed this go around. I will one day have a shantung dinner jacket though.

If I ever commission a tux, it will absolutely have them (unless I change my mind).

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Newcomer Oh man, you made out like a bandit. I **** you not, for my most recent wedding, I wore a MW mid-grey "tuxedo" that had a matching zipper tie...a long tie, no less :censored:
@Mr. Six ya, he wasn't bad at all until the finals, but then he was just trash. Reverting back to #menswear, I don't know if I'd do shantung facings full tux, but would definitely do it for a "casual" dinner jacket. Would look great.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I knew he was washed, I just wasn't sure how washed. He actually put up decent /minute numbers when he was on the court last year before the finals. I'll be interested to see what he can do when in shape. But until proven otherwise, I'm going to believe that he's so washed.

If I ever commission a tux, it will absolutely have them (unless I change my mind).

I tried to get this on my first tuxedo and my tailor talked me out of it. On the next one its a full go for shantung lapels.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads