• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

Butler

Reaction score
That illustration is very interesting, particularly the Burma shade, but also the background grey. Never seen it either.

I was fishing for ideas. There is always so much to discover. I think light variation from a shade which is basically the fibre when nothing has been applied to it might still fit the spirit of classicism, and work better in certain conditions.

Found this off a quick Google: http://www.bondsuits.com/valentin-zukovsky-the-warm-grey-dinner-jacket/ although it has a "street tailor" feel, perhaps due to the facings, perhaps due to the size of the man. The original is somewhat better. Perhaps execution is key with these things.

The 'Burma' shade is traditonaly worn as an atempt to avoid being taken for staff!
:bigstar:

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 'Burma' shade is traditonaly worn as an atempt to avoid being taken for staff!
:bigstar:
You have done it? If so I would love to see a photo! You always do these things so well.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks - in my youth in the Får East I had one like that - long gone I'm afraid! :bigstar:
I would not have thought being distinct from staff was an issue as a 老外 regardless of attire... maybe in another 20 years?

As an enthusiastic if inexperienced fresh graduate, I once introduced myself to a waiter at a networking reception. He was very good about it.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As an enthusiastic if inexperienced fresh graduate, I once introduced myself to a waiter at a networking reception. He was very good about it.

Always make it a point to get to know waiters and secretaries. This has a far higher rate of return than sucking up to the rich and powerful.

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The other night

blacktie.jpg

supern0va

Reaction score
I'm thinking of introducing some black watch to break up the monotony of black tie.

2 possibilities:

1. black watch dinner jacket with black waistcoat and pants

2. Black dinner jacket with blackwatch waistcoat and pants

Which do you recommend? Or is black watch a no go? Thanks.

Lensmaster

Reaction score
I'm thinking of introducing some black watch to break up the monotony of black tie.

2 possibilities:

I vote for the first choice.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

2 possibilities:

I'd go with door number 1 if those are your options. Dinner jacket; blackwatch trousers & black cummerbund is also okay. I suppose door number 2 is okay...... if you're going to your high school prom & even then it's probably not okay.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First of all, there's nothing monotonous about black tie. Second, go with a black watch jacket and black everything else. There is no option 2.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I may not go to many formal events, but then I don't need anyone else's permission to wear my dinner jackets when I so desire.

I saw an Instagram post recently that featured a tan-colored dinner jacket. I thought it looked pretty good, if not quite to my taste. Dove grey, on the other hand, would be excellent and could easily transition into Fall. I may think hard about that.

I'm also thinking that if one cannot actually be Bond, perhaps it's as well to be a man that Bond could not quite put his trust in. I mean, look what happened to Felix Leiter.

As much as I do enjoy your occasional black tie rule breaking, I think it's a bit disingenuous to talk about whether you need other people's permission to wear a particular jacket. No stranger on the internet is going to stop you from wearing what you want, but there are some rules and tradition that matter to some folks and to those who care about keeping black tie alive. Otherwise, why not show up with jeans, a t-shirt, and a backwards baseball cap because nobody needs your permission to wear what you want? I know that's not what you're advocating and I respect your generally well-done coloring within (and even slightly outside) the lines of the rules, but there must be some standards and we need to talk about them coherently. Digressions into "permission" in modern culture seems a recipe for disaster.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am in agreement. There is nothing wrong with straight black tie. But if you must change it up, you can wear a double breasted 4 (6) x2 peak or 4x1 shawl or a midnight blue tuxedo. Regarding blackwatch I can see a dinner jacket (not tuxedo jacket & blackwatch trousers).

I'd post a photo of myself, but it was with friends, & its not my place to post photos on a forum with them without their consent, so I'll attach my instagram link photo (but really, the girls make the photo, haha). https://www.instagram.com/p/BVNjh-kg1nk/?taken-by=jonathansoohoo

That is a 4x1 shawl, almost a blue tuxedo from RLPL. Love everything about it.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As much as I do enjoy your occasional black tie rule breaking, I think it's a bit disingenuous to talk about whether you need other people's permission to wear a particular jacket. No stranger on the internet is going to stop you from wearing what you want, but there are some rules and tradition that matter to some folks and to those who care about keeping black tie alive. Otherwise, why not show up with jeans, a t-shirt, and a backwards baseball cap because nobody needs your permission to wear what you want? I know that's not what you're advocating and I respect your generally well-done coloring within (and even slightly outside) the lines of the rules, but there must be some standards and we need to talk about them coherently. Digressions into "permission" in modern culture seems a recipe for disaster.

Then, in a still lower voice, he said, “I have broken off with Hortense.”
“Heavens!” I said. “Why?”
“A small thing. I visited her for Monday tea, as is my wont, and I was wearing Sunday’s shoes, a simple oversight. I had not noticed that I had done so, but lately I have had difficulty noticing other such things, too. It worries me a little, George, but, fortunately, not much.”
“I take it Hortense noticed.”
“Instantly, for her sense of the correct is as keen as mine, or, at least, as keen as mine used to be. She said, ‘Winthrop, you are improperly shod.’ For some reason, her voice seemed to grate on me.
I said, ‘Hortense, if I want to be improperly shod, I can be, and you can go to New Haven if you don’t like it.”‘
“New Haven? Why New Haven?”
“It’s a miserable place. I understand they have some sort of Institute of Lower Learning there called Yell or Jale or something like that. Hortense, as a Radcliffe woman of the most intense variety, chose to take my remark as in insult merely because that was what I intended it to be. She promptly gave me back the faded rose I had given her last year and declared our engagement at an end. She kept the ring, however, for, as she correctly pointed out, it was valuable. So here I am.” (from Asimov's short story Cal)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads