• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

DavidJordan

Reaction score
Hello All,

Here are two pictures of my wedding reception outfit. What do you think?

-David

Attachments

• F7742CE8-A321-4F9A-B8D8-844F7B022962.jpeg
    F7742CE8-A321-4F9A-B8D8-844F7B022962.jpeg
    248.2 KB · Views: 326
  • ACA9EEF7-02A3-45F8-9F8B-D4F27BB05BA3.jpeg
    ACA9EEF7-02A3-45F8-9F8B-D4F27BB05BA3.jpeg
    130.4 KB · Views: 316

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
Hello All,

Here are two pictures of my wedding reception outfit. What do you think?

-David

^Well gawd dayam so this is what it looks like to set the baller dial to 11...

Normal people are only looking at the smokeshow in the dress but styleforumites are like, "Whoa who shaped that shawl lapel belly for you? Self-facing, or a subtle grosgrain, I can't quite tell? Is that ivory, cream, or ecru? What book is that from? Is the shoulder lightly padded or totally unstructured?"

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Working on the details of the ivory dinner jacket and have a few questions:
1. The ivory DJ will have self lapels (not silk). The trousers will, of course, have silk covering the seams. And I will use the same silk for the bowtie. For warm weather and a more relaxed feel should I go for velvet or grosgrain?
2. What buttons on the double-breasted DJ?
I'd recommend a grosgrain bowtie. Technically, the finish of the tie ought to match the finish of the stripe on the trousers (and the lapels, unless those are self-faced). So, if that stripe is grosgrain, your tie should be, too.

And either self-faced buttons or ivory MOP.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer shantung silk bowties for my ivory jackets...feels more "summery"

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer shantung silk bowties for my ivory jackets...feels more "summery"
I have shantung ties and like them very much. But as Andy notes, I need the bow tie to match my trouser seam covering so shantung is out.

I’m going with grosgrain. My Naples tailor says that they use the same grosgrain that most Naples tailors use. So, is all grosgrain pretty much the same? Or should I look to source premium grosgrain (if that even exists)?

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have shantung ties and like them very much. But as Andy notes, I need the bow tie to match my trouser seam covering so shantung is out.

I’m going with grosgrain. My Naples tailor says that they use the same grosgrain that most Naples tailors use. So, is all grosgrain pretty much the same? Or should I look to source premium grosgrain (if that even exists)?

Thank me later

matchankh

Reaction score

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m thinking about these Caulaincourt Belgian loafers for my pre wedding photoshoot in Paris which I will be wearing a tuxedo. Maybe an unusual choice but I have seen guys wearing black suede Belgian loafers with their tuxedos and quite like the look. I figure the patent leather piping makes it more suitable for black tie.
Is this a big no no?

https://www.caulaincourt.paris/en/produit/shoes/summer-shoes/gattaca-black/?v=69e1aafeccc5

View attachment 1965061
View attachment 1965063

I think those would be great with a tuxedo for all but the most formal of events. Do it!

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can I thank you now? I assume that silk cord is grosgrain based on my prior post. And that it is appropriate for both trousers and bow ties. Is this assumption correct?
@The Chai
Before I ask my tailor to buy this, I want to be certain that I understand you correctly. Thanks.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@The Chai
Before I ask my tailor to buy this, I want to be certain that I understand you correctly. Thanks.
Yes...there is a picture on the sartoria crescent instagram of their tailor using the exact same grosgrain. I myself am about to use it for my tailcoat. They do sell their trouser braid separately. Re bow ties it depends but I like that thick heavy silk feel so it is a yes for me. But makes for a bulky bow tie which may not be too everyone's taste.

Bigbadwolfen

Reaction score
Whats the opinion on actual brided galons on formal pants instead of just a pure gorssgrain/satin braid? I like the look but never seen it in person

Bigbadwolfen

Reaction score
B

U mean silk braid?
Exactly, I see them a lot on pictures of vintage formal trousers but today it seems like plain grossgrain/satin silk is the norm even with bespoke. See pic for reference of what I mean.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230530_191214_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230530_191214_Samsung Internet.jpg
    801.7 KB · Views: 164

gimpwiz

Reaction score
Hi friends,

The dinner suit I mentioned before is about to get the green light. There is one thing I am still waffling about and would like to gather opinions.

I cannot decide between H&S 9722020 vs 9722019.

To some extent, it feels like '19 is too yellow and '20 is too white. I am very strongly leaning towards '20. Our Andy57 looks smashing in '19, but I am not entirely sure how much the yellow tone comes from saturation sliders being cranked up (often by phone defaults) vs how it looks in reality. I can't find anyone wearing '20 in good sunlight. Of course the irony is, it's generally not meant to be worn in good sunlight ;)

H&S's site does not render them color accurate either.

I've attached a photo that, of course, being indoors, is also not particularly color accurate.

Anyways, I am sure both choices are great, but would love to solicit opinions.

IMG_2034.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads