• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

JJ Katz

Reaction score
This was a few weeks ago

20230303 c.jpg

The Dirty Pigeon

Reaction score
I don't love the shape of my waistcoat but love the rest of my tuxedo. I might try to have the waistcoat re-cut, which could be a disaster, but possibly worth a try. As an alternative, I could get something from another maker or find something vintage. Is it generally acceptable to have wear a black waistcoat that isn't an exact fabric match with the jacket and trousers or is this a bad idea?

gimpwiz

Reaction score
I think the general consensus has been that while no black seems to be the exact shade of another black, you can only really tell in good light - at best. Dim light, low chance unless they're vastly different and catch and reflect light differently.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I vote contemporary - I think it looks better and you can clean the back up with a tailor.

Also, you could go that route for the sole reasons the reason that people tend to grow not shrink overtime, and a tux should be a long term garment

archie824

Reaction score
I vote contemporary - I think it looks better and you can clean the back up with a tailor.

Also, you could go that route for the sole reasons the reason that people tend to grow not shrink overtime, and a tux should be a long term garment
Thanks for the input! To my untrained eyes, I have no idea what makes contemporary look better. Can you help me expand please. I've been the same size for the past decade, since my mid 20s haha

gimpwiz

Reaction score
Je ne sais quoi, but the contemporary one is better. Tuxes aren't supposed to be super slim, and a bit of tailoring should get the contemporary one to be just about right, I think.

TBH, I'd still bring both to your favorite tailor for their opinion.

Nick Charles

Reaction score
I think it's funny that in some pictures one looks better than the other and vice-versa in other pictures. Can see why you're having trouble deciding. Sometimes, I wish people could post videos of them in their tuxes so we could more easily appraise. I would follow gimpwiz's suggestion and get your tailor's opinion.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Curious if you're of a mind to ever pair this jacket with lighter colored trousers?
Yes, I have thought about it. I think it would work well with my ivory formal trousers. I've also got a pair of trousers in the works made from a dark blue linen with a floral pattern that will compliment this jacket, for those sultry Florentine evenings.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have thought about it. I think it would work well with my ivory formal trousers. I've also got a pair of trousers in the works made from a dark blue linen with a floral pattern that will compliment this jacket, for those sultry Florentine evenings.
About what I was thinking. The "sloppy" nature of the linen (and the color) seems well suited to it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads