• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
Nailed it! This should be posted in a FAQ for how to do black tie properly!

Where did you get your tuxedo and the various accessories?

🤣 Normal people are probably looking only at the bride but here we're like, "Yo but where did you get that cummerbund? Are those silk stockings??"

....No but seriously, I need to know the details on that sweet sweet jacket....

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I feel like we need this post on speed dial to respond to folks who are resistant to classic black tie elements.

—“I hate the look of a cummerbund. It looks too anachronistic” Speed dial

—“Pleats on trousers make you look like an old man.” Uh…speed dial

It’s such a great example of how classic done right with proper cut and fit is thoroughly modern and elegant. Well done.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like we need this post on speed dial to respond to folks who are resistant to classic black tie elements.

—“I hate the look of a cummerbund. It looks too anachronistic” Speed dial

—“Pleats on trousers make you look like an old man.” Uh…speed dial

It’s such a great example of how classic done right with proper cut and fit is thoroughly modern and elegant. Well done.
It would be interesting to field test how many people (normies...not us weirdos lol) actually know what a cummerbund is, and then how many of those folks have feelings about them one way or the other.
I'd be very surprised if the results were more than 15%/10% respectively.

Faux Brummell

Reaction score
It would be interesting to field test how many people (normies...not us weirdos lol) actually know what a cummerbund is, and then how many of those folks have feelings about them one way or the other.
I'd be very surprised if the results were more than 15%/10% respectively.
They think it holds your trousers up and that you wear it as an alternative to suspenders.

juggzz

Reaction score
That’s not me, but all bald headed brothers do look the same so I can see how one gets confused. I used a Formosa linen outfit for my big day.

The outfit is from Cad & Dandy and the pants are brown.

How was your experience with Cad & the Dandy overall? I paid them a visit to see what they're like for my upcoming wedding, and I was a little unhappy with the bait and switch. Looks like the prices on their website are not even close to reality, and they just haven't updated them. They still haven't updated them even after I raised the issue.

Last edited:

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The weather in NYC is nigh unto perfect - 22C/72 F and sunny with a light breeze, and this evening, early (a 6:00 PM curtain) will be the opening of the 2022-2023 season at the Metropolitan Opera. As I've never attended the opening of the season previously, nor have I ever heard, in performance, the evening's opera (Cherubini's "Medea"), I decided to go, and, as it's been three years or more since I've worn my "normal" tuxedo (as opposed to the fancy dinner jackets that I've sported since parties returned to the social calendar last year), I decided to dress up for the occasion. Happily, the tuxedo still fits. As it is still relatively warm, I opted for a cummerbund rather than a waistcoat (which, truth be told, I prefer).

And, in accordance with the request of Son of Saphir, I've photographed myself wearing my Venetian Carnevale masks, as he expressed interest in the one that is normally in the background of my seated shots (the other is just a bonus). While masked and tuxedoed, I look like an extra from the movie "Eyes Wide Shut", or something equally decadent.

Tuxedo & cummerbund - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Budd, London
Stud set - Deakin & Francis, London
Braces - Albert Thurston
Pocket square - Brooks Brothers
Shoes - Magnanni for Saks Fifth Avenue

IMG_7554.JPG

IMG_7544.JPG
IMG_7546.JPG
IMG_7547.JPG
IMG_7548.JPG
IMG_7549.JPG
IMG_7550.JPG
IMG_7551.JPG
IMG_7552.JPG

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The weather in NYC is nigh unto perfect - 22C/72 F and sunny with a light breeze, and this evening, early (a 6:00 PM curtain) will be the opening of the 2022-2023 season at the Metropolitan Opera. As I've never attended the opening of the season previously, nor have I ever heard, in performance, the evening's opera (Cherubini's "Medea"), I decided to go, and, as it's been three years or more since I've worn my "normal" tuxedo (as opposed to the fancy dinner jackets that I've sported since parties returned to the social calendar last year), I decided to dress up for the occasion. Happily, the tuxedo still fits. As it is still relatively warm, I opted for a cummerbund rather than a waistcoat (which, truth be told, I prefer).

And, in accordance with the request of Son of Saphir, I've photographed myself wearing my Venetian Carnevale masks, as he expressed interest in the one that is normally in the background of my seated shots (the other is just a bonus). While masked and tuxedoed, I look like an extra from the movie "Eyes Wide Shut", or something equally decadent.

Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Budd, London
Braces - Albert Thurston

View attachment 1837113

Superb, especially with the plague masks!

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How was your experience with Cad & the Dandy overall? I paid them a visit to see what they're like for my upcoming wedding, and I was a little unhappy with the bait and switch. Looks like the prices on their website are not even close to reality, and they just haven't updated them. They still haven't updated them even after I raised the issue.

I've never used Cad and the Dandy.

What's your price point and location? If you're located in NYC I can recommend Mark Rykken of Britches Bespoke. He made my tuxedo and can turn around something in a reasonable amount of time.

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Budd, London
Braces - Albert Thurston

View attachment 1837113

Crusty: I can't get enough of those masks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads