• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

Faux Brummell

Reaction score
Cruise formal night #1

A7AC8545-BF1F-42DE-85EA-E678771D3E90.jpeg

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We’ve been kicking around the idea of doing a cruise for a while now. I’m sorta ambivalent but have to admit that part of the ‘plus’ side for me is the chance to dust off the black tie rig.
I’ll be interested to learn if you were standouts in formal wear or if there were other like-minded folks who also dressed up appropriately.

Faux Brummell

Reaction score
We’ve been on a few cruises and hardly anybody bothers to dress up. Last night I saw one other guy in black tie and a couple of others in sports jackets.

We’ve been kicking around the idea of doing a cruise for a while now. I’m sorta ambivalent but have to admit that part of the ‘plus’ side for me is the chance to dust off the black tie rig.
I’ll be interested to learn if you were standouts in formal wear or if there were other like-minded folks who also dressed up appropriately.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Depends on the cruise line and the itinerary. On lines at the very top and bottom of the scale(think either Crystal or Carnival) they’ve pretty well done away with formal nights.
In the mid-upper range (Celebrity) it still exists, but not to the degree it did.

Also, the shorter the cruise (say 3-5 days) the less likely there’ll be a “formal” night. Most 7+ day cruises will have them, usually on the first and last sea day.

The last cruise I did was a pre-COVID Celebrity 7-day cruise. They no longer called them formal nights. They had a new name (I forget what) to stress the optional nature of it. I’d guess about 1/3rd of men were in some form of black tie.

All of that may be completely different post-COVID.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When we cruise, either on Crystal or Oceania, we dress formally every night.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does the lapels (peak and shawl) matter on a tuxedo if I want gauntlet cuffs? I'm asking because I see gauntlet cuffs are usually on shawl lapel jackets.
I don't think it matters. Especially if you are having the jacket made. It's your jacket, have it made how you want. My ivory flannel jacket by Edward Sexton has peaked lapels and gauntlet cuffs. It's not a dinner jacket, but it could pass as one. Have it your way!

jiredell

Reaction score
@Andy57 how do you manage to pack a different dinner jacket for each night on a cruise? Do you have an army of valets to bring on board your army of dinner jackets? We ought to have a SF themed cruise. At least then everyone--or most--would be appropriately dressed.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Andy57 how do you manage to pack a different dinner jacket for each night on a cruise? Do you have an army of valets to bring on board your army of dinner jackets? We ought to have a SF themed cruise. At least then everyone--or most--would be appropriately dressed.
Just one valet would be plenty!

For a week-to-ten-day cruise I usually bring three dinner jackets, so there does come a point where I'm merely repeating myself, although I can usually mix-and-match enough that I don't repeat the exact same outfit. My wife, however, will usually bring enough cocktail dresses and gowns that she does not repeat.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Cunard probably gets a few on their transatlantic cruises. But I am guessing. Between Covid, scheduling, and inconsistency of available dates, I haven’t got around to trying that.

MattyS

Reaction score
I noticed that the Duke of Cambridge once again eschewed a waist covering at the UK premiere of the new Top Gun film.

Premiere.jpg

Last edited:

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wearing a watch, too. I think this is (a) the Brits not finding black tie as formal as Americans make it out to be and (b) William being on his work day, and not trying to impress chicks or society belles.

Also, FWIW, we've had some really humid evenings in the UK recently.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads