• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like vents because I have a habit of shoving my hands in my trouser pockets when I'm standing relaxed or walking. I personally dont think it makes much of a difference visually. I know halston the fashion designer had his jacket pockets sewn shut and had his trousers made without pockets for cleaner lines. That's why hes constantly waving his arms around. I'd say go for ventless with a peak and vented with a shawl because the latter is more relaxed and louche

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you guys feel about going ventless for your jackets? I notice that side vents have more or less become the norm and my previous jacket was made with side vents as well. For those who've worn ventless exclusively, what are some of the downsides?
Not only my dinner jackets but almost all my suits and odd jackets are ventless. There is no downside. I hate the look of vents gaping open, or the vertical rumples of the cloth in the back of a jacket between the vents if it’s been cut too generously.
My Mam always told me it was bad manners to put your hands in your pockets so I try to avoid this as much as possible. Go ventless or go home!

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like vents because I have a habit of shoving my hands in my trouser pockets when I'm standing relaxed or walking. I personally dont think it makes much of a difference visually. I know halston the fashion designer had his jacket pockets sewn shut and had his trousers made without pockets for cleaner lines. That's why hes constantly waving his arms around. I'd say go for ventless with a peak and vented with a shawl because the latter is more relaxed and louche
My tuxedo on order currently is being made without pockets in the trousers as well. Just one rear (“hip”) pocket for a money clip, but otherwise no pants pockets at all

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’ve had both, but my two most recent dinner jackets are ventless. Cleaner and more elegant.

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on dark cream vs light cream for tropical DJs. I've actually never seen anyone wear dark cream in the wild, but light cream seems quite commonplace these days especially in California. I guess another question that might come up is whether you might look like a member of the wait staff.

white+jacket.jpg

Reactions: psb

WhereNext

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on dark cream vs light cream for tropical DJs. I've actually never seen anyone wear dark cream in the wild, but light cream seems quite commonplace these days especially in California. I guess another question that might come up is whether you might look like a member of the wait staff.

white+jacket.jpg

@Andy57 has a dinner jacket that falls into the realm of darker cream, though if memory serves, it's a bit darker than the one in the picture you cite. I'm not stalking him, it just stuck in my head as a very nice alternative that I was considering for a summer DJ outside of cream.

MattyS

Reaction score
This picture (posted by @benjamin831) shows shawl collars with boutonnieres. Is it normal for a shawl collar to have this sort of buttonhole?

white+jacket.jpg

Reactions: psb

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Based on these illustrations, 1930 shawl DJs have no buttonholes. I suppose they had some sort of pin to secure the flower on the lapel.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tan dinner jackets appear to have had a moment in the thirties / forties but are very rare now outside of bespoke versions as demonstrated by Andy.
I’ve seen buttonholes in shawl lapels from decades ago and recently, demonstrated by Craig / Bond in Quantum of Solace and No Time To Die. I think buttonholes look fine on peak lapels but kinda spoil the ‘flow’ of a shawl lapel, but that’s purely personal bias, I don’t think there’s any stringent ‘rule’ - real or imagined - about it.

Idesofmarch17

Reaction score
Hey folks - where is the best place to buy a black bowtie and suspenders for a wedding tux? Thanks!

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With ventless I did see a few vintage dinner jackets where they have their vents piped with silk or silk braid. I thought that was interesting

MattyS

Reaction score
I’ve seen buttonholes in shawl lapels from decades ago and recently, demonstrated by Craig / Bond in Quantum of Solace and No Time To Die. I think buttonholes look fine on peak lapels but kinda spoil the ‘flow’ of a shawl lapel, but that’s purely personal bias, I don’t think there’s any stringent ‘rule’ - real or imagined - about it.
That was my thought as well. I don't mind leaving the buttonhole on a peak lapel empty, whereas if I had a buttonhole on a shawl collar, I would always want to put a flower in it, since the empty buttonhole would, as you say, spoil the 'flow'. Then again, I do think that the red carnation looks great with the off-white dinner jacket in this illustration.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally I never like flowers on shawl for the same reason as having no buttonhole on a shawl. Ruins the flow. I leave the carnations for peaks

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No buttonhole on either peak or shawl. Attach a flower with magnets. flower shops have what you need to use.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads