• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It seems the button point is level with the pockets, which would meet the lower (unbuttoned) buttons on a SB or 6x2.

luca_defumo

Reaction score
This is the smoking my friend Mario Iannetta made for me for the gala night that concluded Milano Su Misura 2021, the event organized at the beautiful Hotel Principe di Savoia by Arbiter Magazine in collaboration with Loro Piana and BMW. Since I have a personal dislike for patent leather, due to the fact that during my apprentice as shoemaker patent was the material that used to crack easier during the work, I matched it with a seamless whole cut Oxford in mirror shined black boxcalf, made by me, already posted here some weeks ago.

Attachments

• ritratto ridimensionato.jpg
    ritratto ridimensionato.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 162

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Friday night at the Art Deco Society Of Los Angeles annual (except for last year) Christmas "Cocktails In Historic Places" event at the Gallery Bar in the Biltmore Hotel. I am wearing a suit and he is wearing white tie. Since the average of the two is black tie, this is the right group to post this picture in.

Is my math correct? If not, what is the average of a suit and white tie?

IMG_0041.jpeg

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Friday night at the Art Deco Society Of Los Angeles annual (except for last year) Christmas "Cocktails In Historic Places" event at the Gallery Bar in the Biltmore Hotel. I am wearing a suit and he is wearing white tie. Since the average of the two is black tie, this is the right group to post this picture in.

View attachment 1715287
I think your math is sound.

cr2596

Reaction score

View attachment 1715287
Which cocktail(s) did you have? Or, did you stick to bubbly?

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Living in a large city, such as New York, one lives with the assumption that, other than places where one is known, one is rather anonymous - just another face in the crowd. Occasionally, for me at least, this seems not to be entirely true.

Last night, my husband and I attended a party at the Frick Madison, a gathering of the great and the good in the holiday season, as these things are. We knew very few of the other attendees, other than museum staff, and I assumed that we were not of much interest to any in the gathering.

An elderly gentleman, sitting with his wife to one side of the room, motioned for us to come over. He proceeded to compliment us on our attire, noting that we are always elegantly dressed, and citing, as an example, attire we wore some five years ago to the Frick Garden Party of 2016 (a photo of our attire that day is included below).

I guess that I (or we) are not as visually anonymous as I had previously thought.

But today is another day.

The weather is again grey and dull, but dry, at least, and seasonably cold, as one would expect in NYC in December. Showing the true depth of sartorial frustration brought on by COVID, I am currently garbed in evening attire, for the sole purpose of attending a party at New & Lingwood this evening. Now, the jacket came from N & L, and it was the suggestion of the store manager that the dress code was "black tie optional", combined with a lack of other excuses to wear the jacket that have caused me to overdress in such a manner. Well, I guess it's "tis the season" . . .

Jacket & braces - New & Lingwood
Shirt & pocket square - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Seigo, NYC
Cummerbund - vintage, no name
Stud set - Deakin & Francis, London
Trousers - Ede & Ravenscroft
Shoes - Magnanni, via Saks Fifth Avenue
Overcoat - Turnbull & Asser
Scarf - Fortnum & Mason
Hat - Lock, London

IMG_6555.JPG

IMG_6549.JPG
IMG_6551.JPG
IMG_6552.JPG
IMG_6553.JPG
IMG_6554.JPG
IMG_20160523_194222.jpg

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@upr_crust you and your husband are always impeccably dressed (at least with what you post to this thread) that I cannot imagine you two going unnoticed! Glad your dual formal excellence went noticed! Cheers!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads