• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

Canadianguy

Reaction score
Technically this should be in the white tie thread, but since we talked about orchestra dress codes here...

How unfortunate. I admit I can understand the desire to “update” the white tie dress code, however, wearing an all black ensemble like this is just depressing.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the topic of velvet, do people generally prefer to keep the lapels fabric matching or with satin for a velvet dinner jacket? I haven't had any made before but would be keen in the future, leaning towards velvet without satin finishing.
Depends. I would (and have) used black silk facings on a shawl lapel jacket, and no facing on a peak lapel. But it is entirely up to you.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very helpful, Andy. Thank you. I will stick with cotton.

I think I know what you mean by upside down but I’m not certain. By upside down do you mean that it is smooth as my hand travels from bottom to top and a bit rough from top to bottom? And unfortunately I have no idea who Divij is.
Yes, exactly. And I apologize and the reference to Divij (Hemrajani). I got confused about which thread this was!

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How unfortunate. I admit I can understand the desire to “update” the white tie dress code, however, wearing an all black ensemble like this is just depressing.

They look terrible, especially since the women are unchanged.

WhereNext

Reaction score
On the topic of velvet, do people generally prefer to keep the lapels fabric matching or with satin for a velvet dinner jacket? I haven't had any made before but would be keen in the future, leaning towards velvet without satin finishing.

To Andy's feedback, which I agree with, I would also add that black silk facing on the lapels would likely look better on a darker color jacket than a lighter colored jacket. By "look better", I of course mean the totally objective and rule-defining, "look better to me".

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To Andy's feedback, which I agree with, I would also add that black silk facing on the lapels would likely look better on a darker color jacket than a lighter colored jacket. By "look better", I of course mean the totally objective and rule-defining, "look better to me".
I agree with this rule of thumb. By way of illustration:
IMG_0101.jpeg
IMG_0660.jpeg

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think you guys really really underestimate how bad at dressing 85-90% of men in orchestras are. (And this include the millionaire big name conductors.) At least all black hides most of the sins.

1634104146576.png

1634104366291.png

Last edited:
Reactions: psb

WhereNext

Reaction score
I agree with this rule of thumb. By way of illustration:
View attachment 1684277 View attachment 1684278

To be fair, I was able to distill that down from my own chaotic thoughts based on a point you made to me about my own question about "unusual" colored dinner jackets a few months ago.
Also, that green jacket, in particular, is great. No hate towards the other one!

Faux Brummell

Reaction score
I saw this image online of a formal wear brochure from the 1960s. Notice that they claim that their tuxedo is appropriate for day or evening! Thought they knew better back then.

Seno and Sons Formal Wear brochure, late 1960s.JPG

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Andy57 Great stuff as usual. As cool as your more unusual ensembles are, nothing beats a well executed classic setup for me. I'll be wearing the same, albeit with shawl collar, tomorrow evening for the grand opening of my church's newly renovated/reconstructed event space. It'll be my first black tie outing since an event in Vegas several years ago, and the first outing of this particular rig. Very excited.

Canadianguy

Reaction score
@Andy57 Great stuff as usual. As cool as your more unusual ensembles are, nothing beats a well executed classic setup for me. I'll be wearing the same, albeit with shawl collar, tomorrow evening for the grand opening of my church's newly renovated/reconstructed event space. It'll be my first black tie outing since an event in Vegas several years ago, and the first outing of this particular rig. Very excited.

Enjoy! Post a pic if you can.

Lensmaster

Reaction score
I saw this image online of a formal wear brochure from the 1960s. Notice that they claim that their tuxedo is appropriate for day or evening! Thought they knew better back then.

View attachment 1686510

Just like today that is marketing. They didn't care about customs, just sales. If you convince people they can wear something all day you sell more product.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you. Every once in a while I like to show that, even though I enjoy all sorts of variations of black tie, I am perfectly capable of no nonsense black tie any time I feel like it.

I hope you enjoy your event. As mentioned by others, do post pictures!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads