• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

SJTM

Reaction score
In some ways, the measure of a man's happiness is the scale of his problems - the smaller the problems, the greater the happiness. The scale of my present conundrum is such that I should be marked as "ecstatic, if slightly daft".

About a year ago, when retail shops were starting to re-open with some regularity here in NYC, I stopped by the local branch of New & Lingwood, where they had a rack of items on sale, at deep discount. One of them was a fuchsia and light blue Nehru jacket, in silk jacquard, patterned in N & L's trademark Russian peacock pattern. As a gag, I tried it on. Remarkably enough, it fit, and it was such an extraordinary article of clothing, and had been marked down to a temptingly low price, that I took the plunge, and bought it, with plans to wear it to the next large black-tie benefit party to which I would be invited.

A year passes by, and I am indeed attending a large museum benefit party in about four weeks time, and all plans were that I would wear the peacock jacket to the event.

Monday, I am out for my afternoon stroll, and I drop in on New & Lingwood once again. Once again, there is a rack of sale items, in the back, and on the end of the rack is a red and black silk jacquard dinner jacket, with black velvet shawl lapels. As a lark, I try it on (noting beforehand it appears to be my size). As it turns out, it is not only my size, but fits me exactly.

Yesterday, after a morning in which I spent two hours in a dentist's chair, as he performed root canal on a particularly ornery second molar, I returned to New & Lingwood, to see if I had hallucinated that the jacket fit me exactly. As it turns out, I had not, and again the jacket was marked down to a price that made temptation more powerful than fiscal probity.

I now have one party, and two "statement" articles of clothing - my conundrum is, which statement to make.

For comparison, I've photographed both jackets in context, accessorized in virtually the same manner - a matter on which opinion is welcome, though the ultimate decision as to which jacket I will wear remains mine.

Dinner jackets - New & Lingwood
Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Seigo, NYC
Vintage cummerbund
Stud set - Deakin & Francis, London
Braces - New & Lingwood
Trousers - Ede & Ravenscroft
Shoes - Magnanni for Saks Fifth Avenue

View attachment 1673370 View attachment 1673371 View attachment 1673372 View attachment 1673373 View attachment 1673374 View attachment 1673375 View attachment 1673376 View attachment 1673377

cr2596

Reaction score
In some ways, the measure of a man's happiness is the scale of his problems - the smaller the problems, the greater the happiness. The scale of my present conundrum is such that I should be marked as "ecstatic, if slightly daft".

About a year ago, when retail shops were starting to re-open with some regularity here in NYC, I stopped by the local branch of New & Lingwood, where they had a rack of items on sale, at deep discount. One of them was a fuchsia and light blue Nehru jacket, in silk jacquard, patterned in N & L's trademark Russian peacock pattern. As a gag, I tried it on. Remarkably enough, it fit, and it was such an extraordinary article of clothing, and had been marked down to a temptingly low price, that I took the plunge, and bought it, with plans to wear it to the next large black-tie benefit party to which I would be invited.

A year passes by, and I am indeed attending a large museum benefit party in about four weeks time, and all plans were that I would wear the peacock jacket to the event.

Monday, I am out for my afternoon stroll, and I drop in on New & Lingwood once again. Once again, there is a rack of sale items, in the back, and on the end of the rack is a red and black silk jacquard dinner jacket, with black velvet shawl lapels. As a lark, I try it on (noting beforehand it appears to be my size). As it turns out, it is not only my size, but fits me exactly.

Yesterday, after a morning in which I spent two hours in a dentist's chair, as he performed root canal on a particularly ornery second molar, I returned to New & Lingwood, to see if I had hallucinated that the jacket fit me exactly. As it turns out, I had not, and again the jacket was marked down to a price that made temptation more powerful than fiscal probity.

I now have one party, and two "statement" articles of clothing - my conundrum is, which statement to make.

For comparison, I've photographed both jackets in context, accessorized in virtually the same manner - a matter on which opinion is welcome, though the ultimate decision as to which jacket I will wear remains mine.

Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Seigo, NYC
Vintage cummerbund
Braces - New & Lingwood

View attachment 1673370 View attachment 1673371 View attachment 1673372 View attachment 1673373 View attachment 1673374 View attachment 1673375 View attachment 1673376 View attachment 1673377
Man, that’s tough. Flip a coin and find a second party.

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Seigo, NYC
Vintage cummerbund
Braces - New & Lingwood

The dark red one looks excellent. But the pink & blue flamingo jacket is so much more unique and sure to attract more attention. Do with that what you will.

Were I you, I'd don the flamingo piece. Very interesting.

Cause Moe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A peacock is not a flamingo.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone in the Black Tie forum ever played with the idea of getting a set of tails made...which is something I am seriously contemplating doing.

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone in the Black Tie forum ever played with the idea of getting a set of tails made...which is something I am seriously contemplating doing.
I have three sets of white tie, one for a fraternity where all the orders and medals made it impossible to use it for anything but that. I also have an 80+ years old that is hot as hell and impossible to wear in the warmer months so I got a third one for spring/summer wear ?.

Sreezy36

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Besides replacing my standard current dinner jacket with a bespoke one and adding a tropical weather odd dinner jacket I doubt I’ll add a formal evening nor a formal day rig any time soon. However, I am very open to an evening formal rig if my social life expands and I start attending white tie events regularly/annually.

Lensmaster

Reaction score

I would not go to the expense of having one made, but after years of looking I found vintage tails and matching pants on Ebay and bought that. That money was worth the annual NYE party I wear it to, and my someday dream trip to an Austrian formal ball.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Seigo, NYC
Vintage cummerbund
Braces - New & Lingwood

What a fabulous problem to have! I'd wear the burgundy one to the public event and save the fuchsia one for a more intimate dinner out, say. Or, I might not, depending on my whim. You can't go wrong, my friend!

Or, just send me the one you don't want! Problem solved! Seriously, those are two awesome dinner jackets!

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A private dinner at Darioush in the Napa Valley seemed like a good enough reason to wear a dinner jacket. Not that I actually need a reason, of course.
IMG_0657.jpeg

IMG_0660.jpeg

IMG_0666.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads