• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which line is that? So many quotable lines in that movie!

Police Chief: So Rick, what brought you to Casablanca?
Rick: My health. I came here for the waters.
Police Chief: Water? What waters? We’re in the desert!
Rick: I was... misinformed.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Police Chief: So Rick, what brought you to Casablanca?
Rick: My health. I came here for the waters.
Police Chief: Water? What waters? We’re in the desert!
Rick: I was... misinformed.

“You can’t close me down - on what grounds?”
“I’m shocked! Shocked to discover that gambling has been going on here!”
(“Here are you winnings sir”)
“Oh thank you very much. Clear the room everyone!”

We could be here all day as the entire film is quotable. Which is even more impressive when you learn that the screenplay was bashed out on the hoof. And Ronald Reagan (among many others) was once in the frame to play Rick!

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As "Casablanca" has been mentioned, many of the cast and crew of "Casablanca" had recently escaped from Europe.

Yeah I seem to remember Conrad Veidt (Col. Stresser) was married to a Jewish lady and escaped the Nazi regime in the thirties. He knew he’d be cast in Nazi roles in Hollywood so insisted that they were always villains and not be portrayed sympathetically.

Dillardiv

Reaction score
Hi all, long time member here but it's been a while, so forgive me. What's SF's best recommendation for a tuxedo in the $500-$1,000 and $1,000-1,500 price ranges? My wedding is coming up and I'm using it as an excuse to replace the one I've owned for 10 years.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For RTW in the $500-1000 range I'd suggest SuitSupply and Spier and Mackay, they have a number of different styles that include classic designs and updates on classic designs in the case of SuitSupply

Depending on how much time you have in front of you, you might consider Divij Hemrajani Bespoke/MTM, I have a suit and blazer from them and I think they would be within your $1000-1500 range (or maybe just slightly above it)

Most of @Andy57 's tuxedos in this threads gallery are from Joe and Divij Hemrajani

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For RTW in the $500-1000 range I'd suggest SuitSupply and Spier and Mackay, they have a number of different styles that include classic designs and updates on classic designs in the case of SuitSupply

Depending on how much time you have in front of you, you might consider Divij Hemrajani Bespoke/MTM, I have a suit and blazer from them and I think they would be within your $1000-1500 range (or maybe just slightly above it)

Most of @Andy57 's tuxedos in this threads gallery are from Joe and Divij Hemrajani
@Dillardiv, I would concur with this advice. If you have the time, Divij Bespoke will make you a very nice tuxedo. All but one of my dinner jackets that I wear regularly are by Divij Bespoke/Hemrajani.

dukeaw

Reaction score
Howdy all,

I have a post vaccination outdoor black tie wedding coming this May and I'm ordering my new tux. (Just got my first pfizer shot yesterday and my girlfriend gets hers monday!) Bateman Ogden wool/mohair Barathea in black with single button grosgrain peak lapel. I used a cummerbund in the past but I've decided to mix it up and have a waistcoat made. I've read the black tie guide and for the waistcoat I'm doing a 3 button U shaped shawl lapel in the same jacket cloth. Grosgrain lapels to match the jacket, but shawl instead of peak.

First question, is matching a U shawl lapel vest with a peak jacket a mistake or is it acceptable by standards of formality? The other option would be a V peak lapel or no lapel.
Second question, how much of the waistcoat should be showing, if any? Should the button point of the vest match the jacket or be a touch higher than the jacket's button point.

Thanks

Last edited:

Faux Brummell

Reaction score
A u-shaped shawl waistcoat with a peak jacket is an amazing choice. My personal favorite.

Last edited:

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First question, is matching a U shawl lapel vest with a peak jacket a mistake or is it acceptable by standards of formality? The other option would be a V peak lapel or no lapel.
Second question, how much of the waistcoat should be showing, if any? Should the button point of the vest match the jacket or be a touch higher than the jacket's button point.

Thanks
A u-shaped shawl waistcoat with a peak jacket is an amazing choice. My personal favorite.
I agree, a fine choice!

As for the waistcoat showing, it's okay if it peeks slightly above the button point of the jacket when the jacket is buttoned. When I wear mine with odd jackets the waistcoat shows very slightly. Doesn't both me at all. Besides, when you have a waistcoat on, I think you can me much more cavalier about unbuttoning your jacket.

dukeaw

Reaction score
I agree, a fine choice!

As for the waistcoat showing, it's okay if it peeks slightly above the button point of the jacket when the jacket is buttoned. When I wear mine with odd jackets the waistcoat shows very slightly. Doesn't both me at all. Besides, when you have a waistcoat on, I think you can me much more cavalier about unbuttoning your jacket.

Thanks. I know you've posted a lot of pics over the years of your black tie. Do you have any that you can share showing your ensemble with a waistcoat for context?

Faux Brummell

Reaction score
This fellow can’t compare to Andy but here’s one example.
Edited to add: At second glance his waistcoat doesn’t seem to have lapels. But the jacket would cover most of the lapel anyway.

5FD893AD-4FB5-4458-B35D-C0AF53D9B0D3.jpeg

Last edited:

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads