• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice. What's the jacket material? And is that a Santos on your wrist?
The cloth is a wool barathea from the Holland & Sherry formal collection. This particular watch is my Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
most of the measurements you will find on ebay are finished garment measurements. personally, i think its best to compare like to like, so i would suggest taking your best fitting suit and coming up with some simple measurements (and adjusting as necessary) rather than getting body measurements from a tailor - while jacket is buttoned, lying flat take a tape measure and get shoulders, chest, waist, sleeve length, jacket length (proper cloth has a pretty description with images for reference)

for a timeless look, most people recommend having a lapel that covers halfway the distance to your shoulder. for a frame of reference, i am a 46R and my tux peak i think is ~4 inches wide, and my notch suit jackets are 3.5-3.75 inches wide

Thanks for the link. That's an excellent guide. Measure my current suit and then find an eBay one I like that matches my "wanted" measurements. A tailor can finagle the rest I suppose.

Good information about the lapel width. In this case with a shawl collar, that still works?

As @classicalthunde suggested above, I would measure the best-fitting garment you have, and then adjust on the basis of how would like it to fit (if it's not perfect), or finding something with the same measurements. It's useful to know your own body measurements as well, but that's more important for other purposes like waist size on trousers, etc.

As for the wiggle room question, that really depends on the metric. How big is a 40L today? I'm assuming it's something like 2 inches oversized in the chest (so 22") or something like that. But what's probably more important is how you're putting on muscle, since shoulders may change faster than chest size.

I'll say that if you're not very big now and planning to bulk up, don't spend too much money on anything for your first purchase. Maybe try to find something interesting and high quality, but perhaps not Tom Ford prices if you'll grow out of it in 6 months time.

Thank you for the write up. I'll go about doing that and trying to search for something in that size range.

Yes, that sounds about right. Shoulders would probably grow quickly and my chest likely won't change a ton since I am so tall.

Sound advice! Not sure what brand to start with... Vintage Brooks Brothers or just drill down to 40L tux sizes and try and find a waist ~32'' and inseam of ~34'' and then go from there? Ideally, a hundred bucks for a tux would be sweet and then I can spend a bit to alter. Not sure if this is realistic or not!

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that matches my "wanted" measurements. A tailor can finagle the rest I suppose.

shoulders are very tough/expensive to tailor...so you should probably make sure the shoulder width is in the ball park from the get go, a good tailor can handle the rest within reason

In this case with a shawl collar, that still works?

I love the look of shawls, but don’t have any experience with them specifically. first guess is that I don’t think it would be the same since they don’t follow the same width pattern as a notch or peak (widest by the shoulder)...just pick something that looks visually good to you. Unless you’re super skinny and tall, I’d avoid skinny lapels in general

Last edited:

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I may wear this suit all week.

I think a different shirt and/or square would have been better. I tried a bunch of squares and settled for this one that matched the purple in the shirt.

View attachment 1564960
View attachment 1564962
View attachment 1564961
View attachment 1564963

My goodness, man. Every piece that hangs from those shoulders just looks killer.

Do you shop on eBay for suits and then have a skilled tailor do the rest?

shoulders are very tough/expensive to tailor...so you should probably make sure the shoulder width is in the ball park, a good tailor can handle the rest

I love the look of shawls, but don’t have any experience. I don’t think it would be the same since they don’t follow thesame width pattern as a notch or peak (widest by the shoulder)...just pick something that looks visually good to you. Unless you’re super skinny and tall, I’d avoid skinny lapels in general

Yes, I can make sure the shoulders are bang on.

Shawls have made me drool for years. They seem less subject to the whims of skinny/wide than do traditional lapels. The exception being the shawl that was posted from eBay a few pages back which looked really vintage/cool.

I am super skinny and tall, but the skinny lapels are my least favorite item. They make people look like geeks (personal opinion) and I avoid like the plague.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My goodness, man. Every piece that hangs from those shoulders just looks killer.

Do you shop on eBay for suits and then have a skilled tailor do the rest?

Wrong thread? Thanks. I always ask for measurements when I buy on eBay. I only buy the stuff I know will fit well. My tailor only lengthens my sleeves and sometimes takes the waist in or out. Vintage pieces always have beautiful natural shoulders. Such a pleasure.

Lensmaster

Reaction score
Good information about the lapel width. In this case with a shawl collar, that still works?

It doesn't directly correspond with a shawl collar. I think they look best when the lapel gets a bit wider towards the bottom, think of Bogart's dinner jacket in Casablanca. If the wide part then is about the same dimension as if it was at the shoulder it seems to look balanced.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It doesn't directly correspond with a shawl collar. I think they look best when the lapel gets a bit wider towards the bottom, think of Bogart's dinner jacket in Casablanca. If the wide part then is about the same dimension as if it was at the shoulder it seems to look balanced.

Got it. Thank you so much.

Fantastic movie and a great outfit example.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another formal Friday.
IMG_9134.jpeg

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads