• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I had meant to comment with "grumpy dickishness" I'd have said "I don't like this move towards fun bowties" or "this looks like ****" or something like that (but I didn't, since that was not my opinion).
Fair enough. I apologize. I still think the immediate transition to an ad hominem attack leaves a lot to be desired.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fair enough. I apologize. I still think the immediate transition to an ad hominem attack leaves a lot to be desired.
I appreciate your comments.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's a 'continental' or 'crossover tie'. Althought similar ties were also worn in the Victorian period, when there was still a plethora of different types of neckwear and before neckwear was more standardized, these were actually introduced by tie manufacturers in the 1950s and were reasonably common through the 60s and then sort of died out.

See this link - scroll to the bottom of the page.

Not sure why this crossed my mind just now, but the Continental tie might be another way to dress down a DJ without getting too slummy. A soft-shouldered shawl lapel jacket could use that , with the right sort of shirt. Sort of like an ascot for formal wear. Part of the charm is avoiding having it stick out too far below the points. The guy in the illustration gets that wrong, if not egregiously so.

I had a violin teacher who wore one of those for summer concerts at Tanglewood. White jacket, of course, and he had a German name (and accent) with Parisian training from just after the War. His snapped shut and crossed over, but you could probably rig up your own by getting a narrow batwing and just tucking it under your collar.

Last edited:

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Attached by accident.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
7545F370-9EA2-4508-BBCB-E8094CD071EB.jpeg
Day one of a weekend in black tie. Getting wine stains on your cream shantung jacket ain’t fun

Nick Charles

Reaction score
Whew! So, I have just finished reading the epic tome that this thread has become and I must say it’s been a delight reading your ardent opinions, heated arguments, and keen observations on the state of black tie, today. It’s been a much needed diversion in what has been a stressful year. Looking forward to continued reading.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All 579 pages?!? ?

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got my navy silk from edmorel. Satisfied with the color so three piece sbpl dinner jacket with midnight shantung lapels it is!

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got a formal event in NYC on Friday. Currently in Aruba with none of my formal kit. Looks like I'll be trying out Suitsupply on Friday afternoon unless someone has a different suggestion

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whew! So, I have just finished reading the epic tome that this thread has become and I must say it’s been a delight reading your ardent opinions, heated arguments, and keen observations on the state of black tie, today. It’s been a much needed diversion in what has been a stressful year. Looking forward to continued reading.
The most epic saga written since GoT and anything Foo related

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still think the quarter lined DJ thread was one of the best I have read. Relatively short and sweet. PS my new silk DJ will be quarterlined
Where I live quarter lining only makes sense because it's so damn hot most of the time.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where I live quarter lining only makes sense because it's so damn hot most of the time.
I think quarter line if it’s gonna be a three piece and you’re gonna wear a waistcoat. Plus the fabric Im using is pure silk so it’s gonna run hot

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads