• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I originally posted this in the wedding attire thread, but I'm re-posting here for additional visibility.

I'm trying to track down a pair of opera pumps in black calf for my wedding next year, but so far haven't had much luck finding them. Brooks Brothers no longer has my size in stock, and everywhere else I've seen only has them in patent. Do any other US-based retailers offer them as a RTW option?

I'm aware of custom orders from the UK:
Shipton: https://www.shipton.com/leather-pumps.html
Broadland: https://www.broadlandslippers.co.uk/slippers/mens-patent-leather-evening-pumps/

Any preference between the two, or are any better options I should check?
Have you tried ebay? that is where I got both of mien

ebusch

Reaction score
at a higher price point, but the following have opera pumps: Carmina (store in NYC), Paul Stuart, Ben Silver
Thanks, but I REALLY don't want patent leather, hence my search for calf options.
Have you tried ebay? that is where I got both of mien
I've been checking ebay regularly, and am still kicking myself for not picking up a pair of the EG for RLPL Orsett's when they were readily available. I keep hoping they will show up again.
RLPL.jpg

I've considered going MTO for a calf version of the Edinburgh, but I don't think I can justify spending that much.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually think this looks half decent...(awaiting incoming flak)
dobrik-lawton-style.jpg

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It takes all kinds of critters to make Farmer Vincent's fritters

(bonus if you can name the movie without Google)
Dunno this movie but sounds like a line out of an 80s b list horror film...was the guy wearing a shantung silk jacket?

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dunno this movie but sounds like a line out of an 80s b list horror film...was the guy wearing a shantung silk jacket?
You have the genre pegged, but I believe the wardrobe was mostly flannel and denim

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have the genre pegged, but I believe the wardrobe was mostly flannel and denim
Had to google...although I’m a big fan of 80s 90s fashion and film...wayyy before my time...I’m a big fan of flannel and denim though. Perhaps for the next costume party

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had to google...although I’m a big fan of 80s 90s fashion and film...wayyy before my time...I’m a big fan of flannel and denim though. Perhaps for the next costume party
Only slightly before my time, sadly

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm beginning to think the proliferation of fun bowties is a side effect of the pandemic or something… Seeing more and more of them
I've noticed the same thing. Standards are slipping, rules are being ignored. Almost like people were attempting to have a little bit of fun in these trying times. Unacceptable.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've noticed the same thing. Standards are slipping, rules are being ignored. Almost like people were attempting to have a little bit of fun in these trying times. Unacceptable.
It wasn't meant at all to be a criticism, it was simply an observation. I'm not sure how you could take my comment to be anything more than that. Maybe I'm misunderstanding but you seem to have, once again, taken my comment the wrong way.

I do notice that you never seem to miss an opportunity to be something of a dick. For someone who projects supreme self-confidence in pictures it is a little bit… odd?

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It wasn't meant at all to be a criticism, it was simply an observation. I'm not sure how you could take my comment to be anything more than that. Maybe I'm misunderstanding but you seem to have, once again, taken my comment the wrong way.

I do notice that you never seem to miss an opportunity to be something of a dick. For someone who projects supreme self-confidence in pictures it is a little bit… odd?
How could your comment not be taken as grumpy dickishness? And why, always, the immediate resort to ad hominism?

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How could your comment not be taken as grumpy dickishness? And why, always, the immediate resort to ad hominism?
If I had meant to comment with "grumpy dickishness" I'd have said "I don't like this move towards fun bowties" or "this looks like ****" or something like that (but I didn't, since that was not my opinion).

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads