• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

Joytropics

Reaction score
@Andy57 looks great. Cut looks classic and elegant.

Soon, I'm having a shotgun wedding (small, family only) since quarantine wrecked my original wedding plans.

The silver lining is that its given me a chance to scrap my ultra-slim tuxedo and go with a fuller-cut suit that I feel much more comfortable in.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Joytropics

Reaction score
I know the original meaning, but it almost fits here since my fiancee's dad will be marrying us in her family's backyard.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know the original meaning, but it almost fits here since my fiancee's dad will be marrying us in her family's backyard.
:)
Yes, I can see how it might. Have a wonderful wedding!

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1596771854313.png

Royal sprezz?

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In what way?
Not really following the Royals, my reading of this picture is of someone who had to rush to the garden party from work, swapped the suit with the dinner jacket (which has a cream PS permanently folded, in the suit carrier), quickly tied a bow and kept going. True "don't care" - which is, after all, the impression sprezz is supposed to create, no?

I've done this a few times in the past in the car (blessed be deserted underground car parks) but usually will swap out the watch as well as it takes no time, and well, I do care...

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The watch and the plain shirt indicate no interest in being dressy-- just in meeting the letter of the code. Ho hum, another Thursday night.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The watch and the plain shirt indicate no interest in being dressy-- just in meeting the letter of the code. Ho hum, another Thursday night.
Yeah lots of people admire Charles’ sartorial adventures so they expect a similar level of commitment from his boys but I just don’t think they’re that interested in being seen as stylistic icons. Their upbringing will have given them some grounding on what’s appropriate for the occasion but I don’t see much evidence that they will go much further than ‘meeting the mark’. I hope he didn’t have his brogues on this time. Shock at his lack of waist covering could have been mitigated if he’d kept his jacket buttoned.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
One thing to remember is that in the UK, black tie is not always ridiculously formal. In the US, it tends to be an annual event, as for a charity auction or opening night somewhere. But over there, you get a lot of events that require or suggest it, and many people seem to have that sort of rig in their closets. Less mystique.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
any thoughts on a barathea wool-mohair blend (71-w/29-m) vs. a standard 100% wool barathea for a tuxedo?

what impact does the mohair have on the fabric from both a look and structure perspective?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads