• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shawl collar looks phantastic, very good proportions.
For a made to measure it fits better than my bespoke. Not to mention plenty of customization options. Me and the tailor designed the shawl shape

Reactions: psb

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any way you look at it, those collars have to be brutally uncomfortable.
Haha my thoughts exactly. Reverence for the past is all well and good, right up to the point of extreme discomfort. I think I’m breaking out into a rash just looking at those pics!

Can you imagine Mitch McConnell in one of those with his turkey wattle spilling out all over his shirt front?

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lapels look beefier with the jacket unbuttoned. Re ski mask Im very blessed to be living in the part of the world where there are zero restrictions as the state has had no covid cases for three months. Nightlife here barring very few restrictions is back to normal. I thought I’d include an after action report. The dinner jacket feels great and comfortable bar one thing. I have high waisted trousers but the fly opening for some reason is smaller than all the other stuff I’ve had made...which makes taking a piss a challenge...

p.s. the only thing nattier than shantung lapels are shantung turn back cuffs
EAA3DA79-BD5F-446E-AD54-3A0EEFB8CADD.jpeg

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha my thoughts exactly. Reverence for the past is all well and good, right up to the point of extreme discomfort. I think I’m breaking out into a rash just looking at those pics!

Can you imagine Mitch McConnell in one of those with his turkey wattle spilling out all over his shirt front?
I’ve had a vintage imperial collar shirt. Only worn it once...it’s in the not in use but can’t bear to throw away clothing case

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a detachable collar formal shirt that I wear from time to time. Properly sized I don’t find them any less comfortable to wear. They are somewhat more difficult to put on however...unless you have a valet, I suppose...which I don’t.

I only wear mine to the most formal of events and then only in a single configuration: Peak lapel dinner jacket with a white cotton waist coat. Sort of a modified white tie configuration. I buy my collars very tall and the look is quite imposing.

Id say I only wear it to one out of every ten black tie events though as it just comes off as too formal in most situations.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a detachable collar formal shirt that I wear from time to time. Properly sized I don’t find them any less comfortable to wear. They are somewhat more difficult to put on however...unless you have a valet, I suppose...which I don’t.

I only wear mine to the most formal of events and then only in a single configuration: Peak lapel dinner jacket with a white cotton waist coat. Sort of a modified white tie configuration. I buy my collars very tall and the look is quite imposing.

Id say I only wear it to one out of every ten black tie events though as it just comes off as too formal in most situations.
Or just plain obsolete/costumey and anachronistic...probably would only wear it to a strictly 20s themed or a proper formal ball but I would probably default to a turndown...

I walked into a bar with my above outfit and someone thought I came from a funeral

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But is it this very high, straight, Imperial collar? I've worn a stiff wing collar, which, while not exactly comfortable, isn't terribly uncomfortable. But these Imperial collars are another thing altogether, I imagine.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
But is it this very high, straight, Imperial collar? I've worn a stiff wing collar, which, while not exactly comfortable, isn't terribly uncomfortable. But these Imperial collars are another thing altogether, I imagine.

Perhaps not quite, but I do buy rather tall ones because I like the imposing look. Go big or go home. ?

I usually buy the “Grafton” collars from Ede & Ravenscroft here:

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lapels look beefier with the jacket unbuttoned. Re ski mask Im very blessed to be living in the part of the world where there are zero restrictions as the state has had no covid cases for three months. Nightlife here barring very few restrictions is back to normal. I thought I’d include an after action report. The dinner jacket feels great and comfortable bar one thing. I have high waisted trousers but the fly opening for some reason is smaller than all the other stuff I’ve had made...which makes taking a piss a challenge...

p.s. the only thing nattier than shantung lapels are shantung turn back cuffs View attachment 1418235

Why are the sleeves wrinkled, is this mohair?

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why are the sleeves wrinkled, is this mohair?
It is the Bateman Ogden Mohair Barathea. The wrinkles on the sleeves are over-exaggerated by the lighting. There are very slight wrinkles but I have been doing some heavy boogeying as usual...dance for roughly 5-6 hours and you are bound to get some sleeve wrinkles.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Random question: does anyone still use the waistcoat buttons from the old dress sets? I can see how they make sense if you are using a white waistcoat. But you’d have to stick to the abalone or darker models to have it work with black barathea or silk

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads