• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...in saying that having wore both lined and unlined...the only reason I would get unlined is that it looks nicer. With Bemberg lining...the ventilation difference is negligible and the benefits of a fully lined jacket outweigh unlined/quarter lined etc

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another Formal Friday. And probably not the last, either. Green velvet, not seen since early April. Where does the time go? Speaking of which, is it 2021, yet?

IMG_4403.jpeg

IMG_4397.jpeg

IMG_4392.jpeg

And let's not forget: the true function of black tie is simply to provide a backdrop for real glamour.
IMG_4369.jpeg

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

skeen7908

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
was it you that wrote “ASS” on the ground behind her
Ha! Well spotted! No, it was not me and I had not noticed. For these photos we use a DJI Osmo 3 gimbal holding an iPhone 11 Max Pro perched on top of a small stone plinth in a neighbor's front yard and we are actually standing on the next neighbor over's driveway. There have been several birthdays recently for the kids who live there and last week there was a celebration for a high school graduate. As part of those celebrations, they write with chalk all over the driveway and sidewalk. We don't pay attention to that when we set up our photos. Perhaps we should, but it probably wouldn't make any difference. Another factor on this particular day is that it was extremely, unusually, windy. My wife's dress is actually made of metal and she was very quickly getting cold so we had to work even faster to get the shots.

Thanks for pointing that out!

Steepleman

Reaction score

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice. Is the cooking done before or after dressing? Or is there no cooking involved?
There is no cooking involved. Not by us, anyway.

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apologies if it's a redundant question but any thoughts on H&S 976018 vs 976032? I've seen the pictures of Andy in the latter and it made up beautifully, but I'm wondering for him and anyone else who's handled both, which they would prefer for a first off-white dinner jacket? Details are sparse as I have no timeline on when I want it made by, and it'll be done via MTM w/ Spier & Mackay since they have a good pattern for me from previous MTM experiences with them. What I do know is it will be a shawl collar, not sure whether to go with a single or double-breasted design. Also perhaps pertinent, I live in Houston so I can count on humidity when I wear this for most outdoors events.

jiredell

Reaction score

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You both look ridiculously elegant and sexy. I love the grosgrain (or maybe satin?) cuffs.
Thank you, that's very kind. The cuffs are grosgrain, same as the lapels.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apologies if it's a redundant question but any thoughts on H&S 976018 vs 976032? I've seen the pictures of Andy in the latter and it made up beautifully, but I'm wondering for him and anyone else who's handled both, which they would prefer for a first off-white dinner jacket? Details are sparse as I have no timeline on when I want it made by, and it'll be done via MTM w/ Spier & Mackay since they have a good pattern for me from previous MTM experiences with them. What I do know is it will be a shawl collar, not sure whether to go with a single or double-breasted design. Also perhaps pertinent, I live in Houston so I can count on humidity when I wear this for most outdoors events.
The obvious thought is that 018 is a cooler shade of off-white. The swatch shades towards taupe or grey, at least on my screen, whereas 032 is definitely a warmer tone. But 018 has some mohair and looks like a more porous weave, both of which might feel better in a Houston summer. Personally, if it was my choice to make I would hope to actually see the swatches in hand and compare them under various lighting conditions. I'll admit that I'd pick pretty much on the basis of color and I prefer warmer colors to cooler ones.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congratulations! I assume you plan to use it as a dinner jacket?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics