• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two days ago, my wife and me had our anniversary day, where we usually go out for dinner.
Unfortunately all restaurants are closed due to corona, so we had to do a dinner at home.
We decided to dress as if we would go out, and it was also a very nice evening.

View attachment 1381579 View attachment 1381574 View attachment 1381575 View attachment 1381576 View attachment 1381577 View attachment 1381578
This is great. Unfortunately for me, I can’t think of a restaurant within 300 miles of me where I’d wear this and my warm-weather formal engagements have been reduced to zero, otherwise I’d be taking these pics to my tailor ....

Reactions: psb

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since I’m getting my cream jacket remade I’m on the hunt for a new fabric...I saw a zegna trofeo 600 wool silk, Bateman Ogden wool ivory faille and a zegna novara pure silk dupioni that are prime candidates now

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is great. Unfortunately for me, I can’t think of a restaurant within 300 miles of me where I’d wear this and my warm-weather formal engagements have been reduced to zero, otherwise I’d be taking these pics to my tailor ....
Balls out and rock one man!!! I do it all the time

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Drive thru at McD. Just put the top down on the Bentley.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...only time I can ever justify smoking a cigarette...
6E16C1D7-E1A5-407D-8B42-1219F30F43ED.jpeg
60466080-BC56-4D5F-9633-4489EA2CD761.jpeg

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Balls out and rock one man!!! I do it all the time
Exactly. I don't need an "occasion". Make your own occasion.

Drive thru at McD. Just put the top down on the Bentley.
This is me. Except I don't have the Bentley, yet. I make do with the 450SL. And damn if today isn't perfect top-down weather.

...only time I can ever justify smoking a cigarette... View attachment 1381601 View attachment 1381602
Bogart's jacket was wool and I've got a pretty good copy of it. If I were to commission another ivory jacket I'd definitely go for dupioni I've been watching all the Bond movies, in order (we've finished The Living Daylights--why was Dalton so wooden?). But both Connery and Moore wore very nice dupioni jackets from time to time.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is me. Except I don't have the Bentley, yet. I make do with the 450SL. And damn if today isn't perfect top-down weather.

Bogart's jacket was wool and I've got a pretty good copy of it. If I were to commission another ivory jacket I'd definitely go for dupioni I've been watching all the Bond movies, in order (we've finished The Living Daylights--why was Dalton so wooden?). But both Connery and Moore wore very nice dupioni jackets from time to time.
My favourite is still all the Pierce Brosnan films (favourite film probably being Goldeneye and The World is not Enough, probably because I grew up with him as Bond...in terms of Bond styling he is still my favourite compared to all the others. I rank him first with Connery as runner up...sacriligeous I know but I am a 90s Brioni fanboy...and I think he wore the best dinner jackets

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally have been on an 80s 90s movie binge myself...have yet to see a black tie rig that really strikes out but am loving some of the casualwear of that period...Tom Cruise in Risky Business comes to mind

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of interesting fabrics in ivory, Spence Bryson has a 430g linen in a sateen weave

psb

Reaction score

Congratulations to the nice car 450SL (I am from Stuttgart, where it has probably been built). Is it the W107 series (a young timer)?

Lensmaster

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads