• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is that the LP cashmere/silk blend line? If so I had it made up into a SB, 1-button with self-faced peak lapels that does double duty as a dinner jacket and a more casual cocktail jacket.

Here it is with black tie:

C66C0D30-AE34-499F-8344-843DAB5FE06F.jpeg

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Centre vent absolutely ruins that TF for me. I mean why? It’s an adjustment purely for adjustment’s sake and adds nothing to the final look. I don’t like the two button front either but I suppose it’s not entirely an outrage but adding eh centre vent to that is a bridge too far.
Those Dunhill pics look great to me. Slim but not skinny lapels is my kinda territory

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is that the LP cashmere/silk blend line? If so I had it made up into a SB, 1-button with self-faced peak lapels that does double duty as a dinner jacket and a more casual cocktail jacket.

Here it is with black tie:

View attachment 1343221
I suspect it is the cashmere silk blend though I don’t actually know as there is no selvedge and I can’t find any information of the reference number. I do suspect it’s the silk blend because it feels crunchy and crisp like silk and yet soft

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Centre vent absolutely ruins that TF for me. I mean why? It’s an adjustment purely for adjustment’s sake and adds nothing to the final look. I don’t like the two button front either but I suppose it’s not entirely an outrage but adding eh centre vent to that is a bridge too far.
Those Dunhill pics look great to me. Slim but not skinny lapels is my kinda territory
Yeah agreed. As I said it’s an inspiration but the 2b and centre vent ruins it...looks really great from afar

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Al

also
Is that a spalla camicia shoulder?

Yes. Joe Hemrajani made this up for me, so I suppose it’s a Hong Kong interpretation of SC. ?

But yes, we did it in SC.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. Joe Hemrajani made this up for me, so I suppose it’s a Hong Kong interpretation of SC. ?

But yes, we did it in SC.
Yeah this configuration is my first preference as I’m a big fan of the sbpl and I have enough proper dj to get something of a mutt dj

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s one of those “if you already have a canonical black tie rig and feel like stepping out for a less than ultra formal occasion” type jackets. Something akin to Andy’s scarlet red silk number. I have no idea what occasion on my social calendar would merit a jacket like that but it looks great!

Royal_Airforce

Reaction score
Possibly gonna be turned into either a sbpl, db or sb shawl dj...haven’t decided yet

I have a jacket-length of LP Summertime wool-silk-linen in cream, similar to yours, but is super lightweight at 240g:
Loro Piana Proposte Giacche SS19 Summertime N692011.jpg

Planning to make it into a 4 on 1 DB dinner jacket, appropriate to the tropical Hong Kong where I live.

I am currently leaning towards shawl collars (a la Humphrey Bogart in Casablanca, as well as Apparel Art illustrations of the Golden Era, or Ethan M Wong):
Humphrey Bogart in Casablanca.jpg

Apparel Art cream DJ_01.jpg

Apparel Art cream DJ_02.jpg

Ethan M Wong cream DJ_01.jpg

But am also tempted by the peak lapel iteration so it becomes an alternative sport coat (a la Buzz Tang below):
Buzz Tang double-breasted cream dinner jacket_01.jpg

Buzz Tang double-breasted cream dinner jacket_02.jpg

Buzz Tang double-breasted cream dinner jacket_03.jpg

This 'alternative sport coat' seems to be a practical approach, especially since my LP wool-silk-linen blend is way less slubby (and hence less stylised) and more durable than, say, LP Mare made of pure silk courtesy of Saman Amel (below)
Saman Amel DB cream silk DJ LP Mare.png

Opinions, chaps? Love to hear your use case / reasoning as much as your verdict.

Cheers,
Royal_Airforce

Last edited:

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a jacket-length of LP Summertime wool-silk-linen in cream, similar to yours, but is super lightweight at 240g:
View attachment 1343795

Planning to make it into a 4 on 1 DB dinner jacket, appropriate to the tropical Hong Kong where I live.

I am currently leaning towards shawl collars (a la Humphrey Bogart in Casablanca), but also tempted by the peak lapel iteration so it becomes an alternative sport coat - particularly since this blend is way less slubby than LP Mare made from pure silk (thereby less stylised).

Opinions, chaps?

Cheers,
Royal_Airforce
If you go 4x1 I suggest the shawl. 4x1 peak imo is notoriously hard to get right...you could use the 6x2 or sbpl as a sports coat too

Royal_Airforce

Reaction score
If you go 4x1 I suggest the shawl. 4x1 peak imo is notoriously hard to get right...you could use the 6x2 or sbpl as a sports coat too

Agreed on the low odds to get 4 on 1 peak right.

Have seen one or two WW Chan works which are very satisfying though: Lower gorge flow down to wide lapels that have more-or-less horizontal peaks, minimum to no belly, stopping at the lower row of buttons aligned to the jetted pockets.

WW Chan camel herringbone DB 4 on 1.jpg

Reactions: psb

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Th
Agreed on the low odds to get 4 on 1 peak right.

Have seen one or two WW Chan works which are very satisfying though: Lower gorge flow down to wide lapels that have more-or-less horizontal peaks, minimum to no belly, stopping at the lower row of buttons aligned to the jetted pockets.

View attachment 1343817
the 4x1 peak is a funny animal for me. I have tried three times bespoke times get one and always ended throwing them out. They really look good on a mannequin but rarely on a person. Put one side by side a 6x2 with the exception of a 4x1 shawl and id pick the 6x2 any day

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads