• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have experienced your conundrum first-hand, attending a black-tie optional wedding (a one-hour Mass) with a three hour time gap between the end of the ceremony, and the beginning of cocktail hour.

For the record, my husband and I opted for option #2, as the wedding and reception were both in Manhattan (wedding on the Upper East Side, reception at Chelsea Piers), and our apartment was logistically in between (Murray Hill). I can also tell you that we were the only guests who opted to change between ceremony and reception - the only other gentlemen in black tie were the wedding party, and the fathers of the bride and groom.

For this wedding, I also performed my duties as the Bow Tie Whisperer, tieing the groom's bow tie, and several of his groomsmen, millenials having little to no idea, in general, how to tie a bow tie. I was summoned to the wedding party's hotel several hours before the wedding to perform this task, a warm and humid day, and there are pictures of me, sweating in a polo shirt and shorts, tieing bow ties. Happily, the photos are only in the possession of the married couple.

haha, i will need to start practicing my bow tie skills about a week out, just to be safe!

Grace@Apposta

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
My next DJ project...I think I'll get a dark navy fresco mohair...unlined 4x1 shawl....self faced because I want to wear it with a variety of my navy/midnight bow ties with a self stripe on the trousers... I thought it would be something different since I already have a collection of black tie..thoughts?
How many events through the year do you attend in your Dinner Jacket? Navy is great, and a perfect alternative to black. You mentioned you have several black ties, but not if you have a similar variety in regards to your dinner suit.
The DJ look is very sharp, and I just wondered if you had a classic single/ double breasted, peak lapel option that serves most of the events you might attend, and reserve the navy option for those particular esteemed events.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How many events through the year do you attend in your Dinner Jacket? Navy is great, and a perfect alternative to black. You mentioned you have several black ties, but not if you have a similar variety in regards to your dinner suit.
The DJ look is very sharp, and I just wondered if you had a classic single/ double breasted, peak lapel option that serves most of the events you might attend, and reserve the navy option for those particular esteemed events.
I have
1) classic three piece midnight barathea with silk grosgrain waistcoat
2) dark navy mohair sb shawl with satin facing
3) cream shawl db 4x1
4) dark navy mohair db 6x2 black grosgrain facings

they all have black facings so they only take black bow ties with the exception of the cream shawl...and I vastly prefer navy midnight bow ties

I’ve a cream silk jacket in the w...haven’t decided if db or sb that I think I could double as a dj or sc...

so I’m trying to decide whether a 4x1 navy mohair shawl self faced would be good to match the navy bow ties with different textures (eg satin/grosgrain/grenadine/shantung) rather than having a fixed silk facing to match a specific bow tie and a specific weave

Grace@Apposta

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I have
1) classic three piece midnight barathea with silk grosgrain waistcoat
2) dark navy mohair sb shawl with satin facing
3) cream shawl db 4x1
4) dark navy mohair db 6x2 black grosgrain facings

they all have black facings so they only take black bow ties with the exception of the cream shawl...and I vastly prefer navy midnight bow ties

I’ve a cream silk jacket in the w...haven’t decided if db or sb that I think I could double as a dj or sc...

so I’m trying to decide whether a 4x1 navy mohair shawl self faced would be good to match the navy bow ties with different textures (eg satin/grosgrain/grenadine/shantung) rather than having a fixed silk facing to match a specific bow tie and a specific weave

I think it's great that you're playing around with texture, whilst keeping to a clean colour palette. Mohair is easy to work with too. Your decision lies in whether you are picking up the satin lapel, introducing a new texture, ie, knitted option, velvet, or keeping the weave flat and play with pattern and introduce a subtle colour to compliment the look.
Will you be using a self tie bow tie or ready to wear?

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's great that you're playing around with texture, whilst keeping to a clean colour palette. Mohair is easy to work with too. Your decision lies in whether you are picking up the satin lapel, introducing a new texture, ie, knitted option, velvet, or keeping the weave flat and play with pattern and introduce a subtle colour to compliment the look.
Will you be using a self tie bow tie or ready to wear?
Self faced with the same fabric as the suit which is a navy mohair fresco. All my bow ties are self tie from sam
Hober

Grace@Apposta

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Self faced with the same fabric as the suit which is a navy mohair fresco. All my bow ties are self tie from sam
Hober
And the event in question? Strict formal dress code?

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And the event in question? Strict formal dress code?
Nah just whenever I feel like it. I live in Australia. No one wears proper black tie here and I already have a few black tie rigs. Thought I’d have the option to change it up abit

Grace@Apposta

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Nah just whenever I feel like it. I live in Australia. No one wears proper black tie here and I already have a few black tie rigs. Thought I’d have the option to change it up abit
That you'll do well. I would look for a few prestigious events in your locality, have an excuse to debut that outfit and give it the audience it deserves!
Best of luck!

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

my $0.02 is to go full iconoclast or conventional conservative. Anything in between looks like you don’t know what you are doing.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd probably end up sticking with the cream silk jacket then...

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cream silk would make for an amazing dinner jacket.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cream silk would make for an amazing dinner jacket.
I’m receiving shipment of a loro piana silk blend soon. Will post pics. I have one cream shawl so I’m thinking 6x2 db that can double as an odd jacket

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw a fantastic triple-bill at the SF ballet last night.

E74BE28D-5BB9-4784-8B9E-9CAB9DF19D21.jpeg

My favorite was “The Infinite Ocean,” a contemporary piece reflecting the passing of life. Quite moving. Then there was “Etudes,” which gives an overview of the daily ritual of ballet dancers, starting with prosaic barre exercises and culminating with so many leaps and twirls you’re left with your head spinning.

Tux: Eidos
Shirt: 100 Hands
Tie: Robert Talbot
Studs & links: Samuel Gassman via NMWA
Slippers: Belgian Shoes NYC

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads