• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Came out well! British shirtmakers would not be happy with the studs though. The code now is 3 for black tie, 2 for white. Personally, I don’t see a reason to be fussy about that, unless you really want black tie to be semi-formal and not a huge “dressing up” kind of thing.
Also, is that a suit or different jacket and trousers?

Thank you! I based my shirt on what I saw from 1930s Apparel Arts illustrations which often show shirts sporting 2 studs for black tie. In fact I see 2 stud configurations more than I do 3 in pictures from the 30s. Jacket and trousers are a set, might've been just the light or angle.

1930print.jpg f7601d2b031c3ab4cdfc6fddedc58fff.jpg Classic-Black-Tie-Outfits-with-accents-in-red-evening-waistcoat-pocket-square-and-carnation-La...jpg Black-Tie-in-1934-in-Germany.-Note-the-colorful-waistcoats-and-the-stiff-collar-with-white-tie...jpg Off-White-Dinner-Jackets-Black-Tie-669x1030.jpg

Last edited:

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Might commission my first tropical dinner jacket. Thinking about making it in a dark cream or light tan like below. Can anybody recommend a fabric? Is it usually made up in linen, silk, or wool?

1324244-bd338c5d16cc8353196113757297e910.jpg

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Might commission my first tropical dinner jacket. Thinking about making it in a dark cream or light tan like below. Can anybody recommend a fabric? Is it usually made up in linen, silk, or wool?

I think @Andy57 had one like that made up recently...

edit: just looked back, its Dormeuil "Ceremonial" cloth

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This illustration was one of the inspirations for my own "Burma" dinner jacket. ?
I think @Andy57 had one like that made up recently...

edit: just looked back, its Dormeuil "Ceremonial" cloth
It is indeed Dormeuil Ceremonial. This cloth is 90% wool, 10% silk and drapes beautifully. In addition, it travels well. It resists wrinkles quite well, and a couple of hours on a hanger has the jacket looking pretty fresh and presentable. I've been very pleased with it.

Faux Brummell

Reaction score
I could have sworn I once saw a comment in this thread about a Laurence Fellows illustration that included a blue evening shirt but I can’t find it. Am I remembering wrong? Were colored shirts ever worn with black tie before the 60s?

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could have sworn I once saw a comment in this thread about a Laurence Fellows illustration that included a blue evening shirt but I can’t find it. Am I remembering wrong? Were colored shirts ever worn with black tie before the 60s?
I can't find a Fellows illustration with a blue evening shirt, either. Off-white shirts go back quite a long way, especially in silk.

JJ Katz

Reaction score
This illustration was one of the inspirations for my own "Burma" dinner jacket. ?

It is indeed Dormeuil Ceremonial. This cloth is 90% wool, 10% silk and drapes beautifully. In addition, it travels well. It resists wrinkles quite well, and a couple of hours on a hanger has the jacket looking pretty fresh and presentable. I've been very pleased with it.

View attachment 1327682
Self-faced lapel, right?

ababac

Reaction score

this rings a bell.

was it perhaps on the old black tie guide website?

i'll have a look when i'm at home, i did save a lot of images.

Faux Brummell

Reaction score
Thanks. I don’t think it was on the BTG, I feel like it was on a message board where someone posted it and referenced someone in a blue shirt. (But ultimately my question is whether or not a blue shirt would have ever been worn with a dinner jacket back in the Fellows era, which doesn’t seem to be documented anywhere else.)

P.S. Glad I’m not the only one who loved the images from the Black Tie Guide.
this rings a bell.

was it perhaps on the old black tie guide website?

i'll have a look when i'm at home, i did save a lot of images.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I don’t think it was on the BTG, I feel like it was on a message board where someone posted it and referenced someone in a blue shirt. (But ultimately my question is whether or not a blue shirt would have ever been worn with a dinner jacket back in the Fellows era, which doesn’t seem to be documented anywhere else.)

P.S. Glad I’m not the only one who loved the images from the Black Tie Guide.
Yeah what a tragedy it’s been taken over by GG. Almost unreadable now with the ridiculous pop ups.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads