• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

dan'l

Reaction score
It gives me an excuse to finally wear black tie.

We have nice floor seats (Parkett) and it seems a shame not to fully enjoy the experience. I also think it is matter of respect to the performers and other guests when deciding what to wear. I guess I can understand students in the standing area wearing jeans, but I want to dress like an adult. :)

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welp, I guess I'll eat crow, because the dudes at the opening gala for SF Ballet in at the Opera House and City Hall turned out quite sharp. Sure, most were not strictly correct, but you can tell that most guys really stepped up their game. Many people commented on how they had never seen so many "tuxedos", and while I could've argued, the whole scene just made me happy. Everyone looked great.

Having said that, this is StyleForum, so...I'll post the pics soon and let the debates begin :devil:

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The guy you talked to in the Ripense was looking really really sharp.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So keep in mind these are real people, who don't trouble themselves with particulars, so be nice. Everyone looked great, but man, the women were smashing. Obviously they aren't beholden to any real code except to look awesome and they did.
DSC06258.jpg
DSC06251.jpg
DSC06247.jpg
DSC06245.jpg
DSC06241.jpg
DSC06234.jpg
DSC06226.jpg
DSC06225.jpg
DSC06221.jpg
DSC06220.jpg
DSC06215.jpg
DSC06213.jpg
DSC06211.jpg
DSC06210.jpg
DSC06207.jpg
DSC06197.jpg
DSC06190.jpg
DSC06184.jpg
DSC06179.jpg
DSC06164.jpg

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome pictures, Peter! So sad I missed out on this event. I see you got a photo of Betty Yu--she always looks great!

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Judging by the pictures, the older audience dressed much much better than the younger. Also really nice to see a proper white tie ensamble.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Smashing!

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Welp, I guess I'll eat crow, because the dudes at the opening gala for SF Ballet in at the Opera House and City Hall turned out quite sharp. Sure, most were not strictly correct, but you can tell that most guys really stepped up their game. Many people commented on how they had never seen so many "tuxedos", and while I could've argued, the whole scene just made me happy. Everyone looked great.

Having said that, this is StyleForum, so...I'll post the pics soon and let the debates begin :devil:
I have a ("younger") friend who attended that. I believe he wore a velvet DJ with what looked like the correct accoutrements, including a nice set of MOP studs. (I take that back... I don't think he wore a cummerbund, which is unfortunately out of style with millennials and younger). He'd probably get shredded on SF though, knowing this place. (He did not make your retrospective.)

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It gives me an excuse to finally wear black tie.

We have nice floor seats (Parkett) and it seems a shame not to fully enjoy the experience. I also think it is matter of respect to the performers and other guests when deciding what to wear. I guess I can understand students in the standing area wearing jeans, but I want to dress like an adult. :)
Nowadays non-profit performing arts organizations do not want to discourage anyone from coming in the interest of audience development. For example, this is from the Seattle Symphony website: "Whether it's Birkenstocks or a ball gown, please wear whatever makes you feel comfortable."

So, my advice (in general, not to you specifically) is just enjoy the show, and don't get worked up about what other patrons are wearing. Ultimately it's better for the organization and for the arts in general to cast a wide net.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nowadays non-profit performing arts organizations do not want to discourage anyone from coming in the interest of audience development. For example, this is from the Seattle Symphony website: "Whether it's Birkenstocks or a ball gown, please wear whatever makes you feel comfortable."

So, my advice (in general, not to you specifically) is just enjoy the show, and don't get worked up about what other patrons are wearing. Ultimately it's better for the organization and for the arts in general to cast a wide net.
I remember having this conversation with the head of a national youth orchestra, who wanted to clothe the players in T-shirts in bright colours with primary school patterns. He thought it'd make the whole thing more approachable, popular, and ultimately impressive. The players were against the idea as concerts were very special occasions for them and to wear street clothes took away from the spirit. From later talking with the very audience targeted by such moves, they also considered going to "the symphony" a special occasion worth dressing up for.

The real way to make classical music accessible is to make it affordable. I used to go to the ROH as a broke student thanks to the 10 GBP tickets (couple of times in black tie), the Proms were even cheaper, but the cheap seats were not necessarily less well dressed. Here in Asia, a Vienna Philharmonic visit will be milked thoroughly with tickets starting at $250, sometimes $400, and I remember seeing Mehta conducting them in the Rite of Spring for almost a hundredth of that...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads