• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

dan'l

Reaction score
Of course I considered this but figured that the area would be a pedestrian zone, so you can‘t stop right in front. Also, might be tough catching a cab on the way home.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The soles of the slippers can always be swapped for harder soles when they wear out
It took a while, but I now have a full black tie rig and finally have the opportunity to wear it! It will be to a night at the ballet in the Wiener Staatsoper. :bigstar:

The venue is about a 20 min. walk from the hotel and I have suitable outerwear getting there, but footwear is a problem! I purchased a pair of black velvet loafers a while back to complete my outfit, but they are definitely not suitable for walking to the opera house due to the soft leather soles. So that leaves the black shoes from my normal rotation: 1) calf oxfords, 2) calf loafers or 3) suede chukkas. I suppose the oxfords would seem the safe choice; however they aren‘t capped and have brogueing on the toe. The chukkas in black suede have a sleek last, but I think they will look quite out of place. So now I am leaning to my full-strap loafers. Or would the oxfords be OK?

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wear galoshes (overshoes), and check them with your coat?

dan'l

Reaction score
If the oxfords are plain toe cap or wholcuts, I would just polish them up and use them for the occasion.

My oxfords have brogueing on the toe.

The soles of the slippers can always be swapped for harder soles when they wear out

They are Belgian Loafers and Blake-stitched, so unfortunately not possible to re-sole them. After I bought them, I regretted my purchased a bit, since the soles are super soft and probably only intended for indoor use, or at the very least not for walking on asphalt.

Wear galoshes (overshoes), and check them with your coat?
I actually did think of this, since I have them. This might be the best option, especially if it rains.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My oxfords have brogueing on the toe.

They are Belgian Loafers and Blake-stitched, so unfortunately not possible to re-sole them. After I bought them, I regretted my purchased a bit, since the soles are super soft and probably only intended for indoor use, or at the very least not for walking on asphalt.

I actually did think of this, since I have them. This might be the best option, especially if it rains.
I have had Blake stitched shoes before

dan'l

Reaction score
^ actually I‘m not sure if they are Blake-stitched or made with the “Bologna“ construction (tubular). Either way, I don‘t think they are suitable for re-soling, at least when I asked they told me no.

Since you wear black tie frequently, are you taking a change of shoes with you, do you use overshoes or just wear your oxfords/loafers/whatever directly to the venue?

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ actually I‘m not sure if they are Blake-stitched or made with the “Bologna“ construction (tubular). Either way, I don‘t think they are suitable for re-soling, at least when I asked they told me no.

Since you wear black tie frequently, are you taking a change of shoes with you, do you use overshoes or just wear your oxfords/loafers/whatever directly to the venue?
I don’t have overshoes but I rarely every walk many blocks to events...usually drive straight and park there...but I do ballroom dancing in them which means lots and lots of walking so it adds up?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the oxfords are plain toe cap or wholcuts, I would just polish them up and use them for the occasion.
I really dislike patent leather. Kind of like cheating and I'll just scratch them up dancing or what not. I have a pair of whole-cut oxfords (Peal & Co from Brooks). I just polish the heck out them and they work very well.

Last edited:

Hellbent

Reaction score
Walk there in other shoes. Swap when there and leave the extras together with the coat in the cloakroom to the right.

Reactions: psb

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Patent patina man!!! I quite like jt
I really dislike patent leather. Kind of like cheating and I'll just scratch them up dancing or what not. I have a pair of whole-cut oxfords (Peal & Co from Brooks). I just polish the heck out them and they work very well.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also what I meant was I have had Blake stitched shoes resoled before

I

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheating? About what?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads