• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree on principle but ...
I seem to remember in ‘Sunset Boulevard’ - made at a time when formal wear was seen more often - William Holden is in white tie for New Year and wears the camel - or was it vicuña? - polo coat over his tails. So it’s not a fashion crime nor unprecedented if all you have is light coloured, just not necessarily the optimal choice if time and money are no object!

View attachment 1314510

thanks for the heads up! I have already have a thrifted navy brooks brothers top coat, but its certainly seen some years and it goes down to mid-calf, which i'm not necessarily a fan of. I'm in need for a new top coat and have been digging the tan/camel color, which would work pretty well with the rest of my suit wardrobe...now the question is to be correct, or to pick something that i'll enjoy more as i use it in a regular context...

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for the heads up! I have already have a thrifted navy brooks brothers top coat, but its certainly seen some years and it goes down to mid-calf, which i'm not necessarily a fan of. I'm in need for a new top coat and have been digging the tan/camel color, which would work pretty well with the rest of my suit wardrobe...now the question is to be correct, or to pick something that i'll enjoy more as i use it in a regular context...
Take your time and trawl eBay.
As an example I got a NWT Hickey Freeman wool topcoat in grey herringbone for $99. That colour works well for both daytime business wear and over black tie if needed. If that’s not to your taste there are other bargains to be had if you’re patient.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I prefer knee length so it stays out of the way. Not doing a lot of outside walking in black tie anyway.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer knee length so it stays out of the way. Not doing a lot of outside walking in black tie anyway.

Yeah it’s a thing these days isn’t it.
Aside from the likes of Manhattan dwellers who spend a lot of time on the street and not so much in cars, for many people the mid calf overcoat is unnecessary and a thing of the past. Which is fine but the shortness of raincoats is what gets me. Sure - a longer length may get in the way when you’re sat in a car, but the current kneecap grazing trend for rain coats isn’t going to do a lot to keep my strides dry in a tropical rainstorm!

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah it’s a thing these days isn’t it.
Aside from the likes of Manhattan dwellers who spend a lot of time on the street and not so much in cars, for many people the mid calf overcoat is unnecessary and a thing of the past. Which is fine but the shortness of raincoats is what gets me. Sure - a longer length may get in the way when you’re sat in a car, but the current kneecap grazing trend for rain coats isn’t going to do a lot to keep my strides dry in a tropical rainstorm!
True enough! All my winter coats are knee length save for one Black Fleece full-length heavy trench coat for rainy, sloppy days. I have to walk home-train-work then reverse so a long coat does come in handy for the commute here in DC.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Can an alterations shop fuss with the length?

AdductorMagnus

Reaction score
I wear a vintage calf-length PRL dark charcoal paletot with ridonculous peaked lapels and velvet collar. Thing weighs like 5 kilos.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question - are there any hard and fast rules for black tie outwear? I have a black tie wedding this winter and it will almost certainly require a topcoat for travel to and from...would a camel hair top coat be too informal?
I’ve got a dark grey knee-length Chesterfield I usually wear. Similar coats are currently on sale at Brooks Brothers

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Newbs...go big or go home ?

Attachments

• A61F871F-908A-495D-90EC-08296A3E0F7A.jpeg
    A61F871F-908A-495D-90EC-08296A3E0F7A.jpeg
    13.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 2CA5CC9F-2862-4CDC-A9AE-4C3E8112465B.jpeg
    2CA5CC9F-2862-4CDC-A9AE-4C3E8112465B.jpeg
    19.8 KB · Views: 73

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will not purchase an overcoat that does not come well below the knee. I can't see the point in a shorter coat, to be honest. This is not a black tie photo, but I have worn this camel hair coat with black tie. My navy cashmere DB that I usually wear with a dinner jacket is about the same length, but I can't find a picture of it offhand.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Another question, that I probably asked elsewhere: are there major differences in quality of patent leather? I.e., is EG's much better than Loake, and will going bespoke produce any gains apart from fit and construction?

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another question, that I probably asked elsewhere: are there major differences in quality of patent leather? I.e., is EG's much better than Loake, and will going bespoke produce any gains apart from fit and construction?
Good question to which I do not know the answer. I talked to Nick Templeman a while ago about a bespoke pair of patent oxfords using real patent leather, but we could not source the material (if I recall correctly). I've also considered Edward Green, but their patent oxford is on the 82 last, which I do not find to be kind to my feet these days, so having them make me one on the 202 would add a surcharge to what is already an expensive shoe.

I've used Brooks Brothers patent oxfords for several years now. I don't know who made the first pair I had, but my current pair were made by Church. The material might not be the best available, but it's perfectly serviceable, the last is comfortable, and the price is decent. I recently bought another pair in one of Brooks' sales. So, the Brooks patent works fine for me, especially as I might only wear them around 20 evenings per year.

dan'l

Reaction score
It took a while, but I now have a full black tie rig and finally have the opportunity to wear it! It will be to a night at the ballet in the Wiener Staatsoper. :bigstar:

The venue is about a 20 min. walk from the hotel and I have suitable outerwear getting there, but footwear is a problem! I purchased a pair of black velvet loafers a while back to complete my outfit, but they are definitely not suitable for walking to the opera house due to the soft leather soles. So that leaves the black shoes from my normal rotation: 1) calf oxfords, 2) calf loafers or 3) suede chukkas. I suppose the oxfords would seem the safe choice; however they aren‘t capped and have brogueing on the toe. The chukkas in black suede have a sleek last, but I think they will look quite out of place. So now I am leaning to my full-strap loafers. Or would the oxfords be OK?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads