• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
More than decent to be honest. Maybe a bit more room in the legs but other than that, he looks great. Take note, American Hollywood elite on how black tie should be worn.
I'm going to guess he's not wearing suspenders/braces, and his pants are sagging a bit, hence the sloppy break and low trouser pockets.

Reactions: psb

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More than decent to be honest. Maybe a bit more room in the legs but other than that, he looks great. Take note, American Hollywood elite on how black tie should be worn.
he needs all that extra crotch space for his cannon ;-)

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1312115 First decent black tie I have seen in the golden globe in years...Daniel Craig in Anderson and Sheppard
First decent suit from Anderson & Sheppard I’ve seen in years. Haha. I actually couldn’t believe it was a&s at first.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First decent suit from Anderson & Sheppard I’ve seen in years. Haha. I actually couldn’t believe it was a&s at first.
Lol. Pretty true. Most of the A&S stuff I see doesn't really look that great to me but this once is nice.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will never understand SF at times lol. DC's rig looks perfectly adequate. Hard to say much better than that. Given the price us plebs would pay for the same, it’s mediocre. Nominally (at best) better than the Trump acolyte who was so roundly maligned for his “clown” tux.
Pockets look awkwardly low. Jacket too short. Pants look rather slim (skin tight by general SF standards) and low rise.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question - are there any hard and fast rules for black tie outwear? I have a black tie wedding this winter and it will almost certainly require a topcoat for travel to and from...would a camel hair top coat be too informal?

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question - are there any hard and fast rules for black tie outwear? I have a black tie wedding this winter and it will almost certainly require a topcoat for travel to and from...would a camel hair top coat be too informal?

Camel hair is fine, but it should be dark. Black, navy or dark grey. I wouldn’t do beige in the evening.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wear a Navy cashmere top coat and also picked up a white formal scarf from BB this year. Maybe white leather gloves for next year?

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
gotcha, i meant both in color and fabric...I wanted to knock out a coat for this and my normal (winter) day to day

Ideally, it would be black, but that would be low on my list of things to acquire and certainly down the list of colors for every day overcoat. I think Charcoal or a dark-ish navy would be the likeliest colors to fill the gap. In terms of cloth, it really depends on your budget. Cashmere is wonderful but very expensive. Camel hair is less expensive but still nice. 80/20 wool/ cashmere is probably the best value proposition around.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Camel hair is fine, but it should be dark. Black, navy or dark grey. I wouldn’t do beige in the evening.
Ehh I kinda like the beige trench coat/balmacaan look with black tie at night...

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree on principle but ...
I seem to remember in ‘Sunset Boulevard’ - made at a time when formal wear was seen more often - William Holden is in white tie for New Year and wears the camel - or was it vicuña? - polo coat over his tails. So it’s not a fashion crime nor unprecedented if all you have is light coloured, just not necessarily the optimal choice if time and money are no object!

5B7B2524-5C90-48FC-9E3C-BFBF7A169703.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads