• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally got all the pieces of my first black tie rig together!

View attachment 2203047

View attachment 2203049

View attachment 2203051

Tux - No Man Walks Alone x Sartoria Carrara
Shirt - The Armoury x 100Hands
Bowtie & Cummerbund - Sam Hober
Braces - Thurston
Cufflinks - Codis Maya
Shoes - my good ol' Allen Edmonds (although I may spring for patent leather or maybe a belgian loafer depending on how often I break the whole outfit out)
Looks good! Your dog seems a bit tentative about your shoe choice.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The weather in NYC is hot and humid, but, regardless, the Met Museum is having a benefit evening this evening, and after a week of shorts, polo shirts and sneakers, it's good (albeit warm) to get back into "proper clothing". The theme of the party is "botanical black tie", hence the floral pocket square, and the evening is warm enough to forego a waistcoat in favor of a cummerbund.

The stud set is making its debut. The cufflinks I purchased some four years ago, as stores were beginning to re-open, and a few months ago, I commissioned the jeweler to create for me matching studs. They came out very well, IMHO.

Tuxedo - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt & braces - Ede & Ravenscroft
Cummerbund set - Paul Stuart
Stud set - The Persian Shop, NYC
Pocket square - Seaward & Stearn
Shoes - Broadland Slippers

IMG_1203.JPG

IMG_1198.JPG
IMG_1200.JPG
IMG_1201.JPG
IMG_1202.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1203.JPG
    IMG_1203.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 56

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally got all the pieces of my first black tie rig together!

View attachment 2203047

View attachment 2203049

View attachment 2203051

Tux - No Man Walks Alone x Sartoria Carrara
Shirt - The Armoury x 100Hands
Bowtie & Cummerbund - Sam Hober
Braces - Thurston
Cufflinks - Codis Maya
Shoes - my good ol' Allen Edmonds (although I may spring for patent leather or maybe a belgian loafer depending on how often I break the whole outfit out)
Looks good!

The shirt, was that OTR? MTO? ?MTM?

Hober tie and cummerbund !! What height measurement did you go with for the cummerbund?

jeremygo

Reaction score
Looks good!

The shirt, was that OTR? MTO? ?MTM?

Hober tie and cummerbund !! What height measurement did you go with for the cummerbund?
Thanks! It’s a MTO shirt from the Armoury with a tweak to extend the sleeve length. For full MTM I think you need to do their Gold Line option which is quite a bit more expensive.

And it’s their “slim” cummerbund, which I believe is 5.5”. The classic is 6”.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just one man's opinion, but not a fan of this look...lapels look far to aggressive especially considering the amount of real estate the white shirt is occupying and how tight/fitted the jacket silhouette seems. Maybe if you had 2-3 other black tie rigs this could have a place in the wardrobe as a 'fun' black tie outfit...

cedarlake23

Reaction score
Anyone have opinions about what to look for in opera pumps? I was able to get exactly the tuxedo I want - black barathea cloth, satin shawl lapel, single button, no vent, etc. in a standard fit. Going to get a satin cummerbund and bow tie soon, too.

I'm interested in the opera pumps from Morjas or Myrqvist. They look super similar but I just wanted to ask around if anyone knows what to look for in construction, shape, etc. if I'm trying to keep things classic. Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenadams88