The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mafoofan, Nov 22, 2011.

Tags:
  1. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

I agree. It may have been uncouth at one time, but at this point, you pretty much have to clarify.

2. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

:lol:

3. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

All of them.

4. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

The tuxes were those gray CK things with the satin edged lapels that are super popular nowadays. I think the ties were silver.

[​IMG]

5. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

That's considered a tux?

6. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

That's a terrible tux. This kind of acceptance amongst society these days urks me beyond belief.

7. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

This essentially describes just about any thread on SF, and doubly so when it comes to this thread.

8. recondite

recondite Senior member

I do not think you understand the idea of what constitutes a formal invitation.

LOL! I think you understand completely the idea of what constitutes an informal invitation.

Not only will everyone know, no one is going home hungry from any event in your family.

9. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

Ha I had to wear one of those for a wedding once. Terrible.

10. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

This is the dinner jacket we all need.

The Tuxedo trailer

11. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

Closer to a modified Morning Suit, I would say...I think it might work in a daytime event for a middle class wedding...but it would look very weird in the evening.

12. Spode

Spode Member

I frequently come into contact with a mens choir where they all wear black tie. However, last time I saw them only one out of eight was wearing it in a at least half decent way. The others had wing collars with the wings pointing in all sorts of direction, terrible black loafers, pre tied bow ties, the wrong sizes and whatnot. They all wear black tie frequently, probably at least once or twice a month. It saddens me so that they can't do it right. Their singing is great, but the entire preformance would be taken to a new level if only they knew how to wear black tie.

(First post, yay me!)

13. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Yeah, that's what I would have thought. I'm not buying this whole thing that people, when in the "correct" circles, would know to wear black tie simply because an event is in the evening. At least, if such circles exist, they are so small as to be useless for instructive purposes here.

Maybe I'm the wrong sort, but I would never wear black tie to an evening wedding without being told to. And I do think it would look incredibly odd if you were the only one outside the wedding party wearing a dinner suit. In fact, I think it would be construed as very rude. For the same reason, I would never wear a flower in my lapel to a wedding unless I was in the party.

Yes, yes, I understand that back in some other time doing either would be the default, but the default has changed.

I think it's a mixed bag. It really depends on who the conversation draws. In many threads, there is a strong reverse-snob-snobbery.

I think you're an FNB poster who comes here every now and then to fuck with people. Maybe you should think for a moment about how sad that is.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013

14. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

It's an abortion.

15. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

In this day and age, at least in the US, the old codes about "formal" v. "semi" etc. are nothing more than historical curiosities. If you want people to dress a certain way, you have to tell them.

I've been out of this game for almost ten years but as recently as the mid 2000s, an invite from a chancery or embassy of a European country or former British colony still used the old lingo. They would even say "lounge suit" rather that "buisiness attire."