1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mafoofan, Nov 22, 2011.

Tags:
  1. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Thanks! It's going to be after 6, so that helped my decision.

2. musicmax

musicmax Senior member

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  3. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

which c and j's?

4. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Would you like me to submit them for approval?

5. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

The front button fell off my 1-year-old dinner jacket at my last concert. I'm hesitant to sew on a new one only for it to fall off again sometime later (I'm in black tie at least a dozen times a year, and hope this tux lasts me at least the fifteen years that my previous one did).

It got into my head to maybe have another buttonhole sewn on the right side of the jacket and go link front style:

[​IMG]

Ostentatious? Subtle? Inappropriate?

6. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Senior member

I have a similar pair. Good choice!

7. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Senior member

8. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Undershirt or not? I'd bet money that you're not removing the coat at any time throughout the event.

9. Moloch38

Moloch38 Senior member

I'm
    I'm for it. I've seen a few DJs like this that look fantastic.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

yes

11. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Quote:Can you find a BB near you and try them on? Otherwise, I recommend ordering multiple sizes and shipping back the ones you don't want

12. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

Agreed!

13. OTCtailor

OTCtailor Senior member

I'm digging the linkage closure on the jacket posted above. I don't think I'd do it or anything else out of trad for dinner suit but I'm going to have a few velvet 'gala' suits made for local occasions that I may do that closure to. These suits would be worn in a black tie optional environment where most idiots would be wearing after work apparel. Wearing a tux would look ostentatious [​IMG]

14. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Wearing a tux to a black tie optional affair is not ostentatious. If it were, then it wouldn't be an option.

15. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

+1.

16. throwbookatface

throwbookatface Member

Any suggestions for a quality OTR tux in a 36S with a somewhat athletic build? Unfortunately my smaller stature limits my options - Brooks Brothers, for example, just doesn't make a suit or tux to fit someone my size or build. I'm in NYC if it helps. I'm attending a wedding in October for which I need this, and I will wear it in my own wedding next year (as well as more events).

I visited Suitsupply because they actually make a proper tux, but their MTM service utilizes Italians, who refuse to lift themselves out of a recession and apparently take the whole of August off, so it wouldn't be ready until late October. They no longer make or stock a tux in 36S despite their suits being available in this size. I need this for early October. So on to RTW...

I visited Saks and my options right now are Armani and RLBL, which are more than I'd like to spend (about $2K give or take). BB's pricing is right but doesn't make things in my size or cut. Hugo Boss makes a proper tux in my size but the consensus (and what I've seen in the one Boss suit I own) is that their stuff sucks, as good as their cuts are. J.Crew makes a shawl lapel jacket in my size and their suits fit me well, but it has vents (which I'd close) flap pockets (which I'd tuck in, I guess) and plastic buttons. Ebay is a wasteland of Shaquille O'Neal-sized and styled polyester; nothing used in my size either.

Any advice? I'd consider renting for this wedding and investing in the Suitsupply MTM one for my own, but I know how bad rental tuxes can be as well.

17. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

There are plenty of other MTM places in NYC. I have used LS Men's clothing with good results.

18. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

That's the route I'd go. If they nail the fit (the most important part, especially in your size) then the rest can be dealt with -- you specify two solutions and buttons are pretty easy to replace. I'd even stick with two vents with shawl lapels, but that's just me.

Edit: consider having a buttonhole sewn on the lapel.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  19. throwbookatface

throwbookatface Member

Good suggestions. Thanks, all.

20. marcodalondra

marcodalondra Senior member

1 person likes this.