• We would like to welcome American Trench as an official Affiliate Vendor. American Trench is a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand, making all of its products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. . Please visit the American Trench thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since Andy57 is the unofficial moderator of this thread I thought I’d post this here. It was from a Rake email highlighting great looks by women at Pitti. Well deserved recognition for Ms. Andy57.
View attachment 1740103
That's very kind of you to highlight her. I had not seen this particular email from The Rake. I'll have to go look for it. We were invited to a "Women in Tailoring" event the evening before Pitti, which was a black tie cocktail party. My wife wore her Burberry tuxedo tunic to the event. Here are a few photos:
_DSC58941642423162062.jpeg

_DSC54511642423162047 (1).jpeg

_DSC53771642423162044.jpeg

It was an event organized by two of the women pictured. We hope it will become a regular event at Pitti.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the advice! I ordered a white set and a bow tie. Appreciate it!
Yeah in general concurrence with Andy I suppose it’s a place where you could have a bit of flash (scarlet red? Paisley?) in the otherwise black-and-white colour scheme of a black tie rig and even if no-one else sees them, YOU’ll know they’re there!
Another consideration - I have a black set for my black and midnight blue dinner suits, and a white set of Thurstons to wear with my ecru dinner jacket, as it’s very lightweight fabric and black braces would be an unsightly faux pas if they showed through the off-white jacket.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Arguably, as suspenders are technically underwear and should not be seen by anyone at any time, you could use whatever color you like.
Glad that this advice is arguable as I insist that if you play your cards right a special someone should see the garments under your dinner jacket.

Last edited:

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glad that this advice is arguable as I insist that if you play your cards right a special someone should see the garments under your dinner jacket.
I concede your point.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
this question might be super specific - but has anyone made a tuxedo out of the Smith Woollens formal bunch in the past couple of years? Thinking about a midnight tuxedo and going back and forth between the 310g wool-mohair blend and the pure wool barathea

curious to hear peoples thoughts on the bunch or any other recs
I had WW Chan make a DB rig out of Smiths mohair/wool maybe close to 10 years ago. Very nice stuff, but maybe lighter than 10oz. No idea how that book has survived the various mergers.

cr2596

Reaction score
And, they ought to add to the effect of the man, in that moment. No reduction.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I quite like the look of a buttonhole on a peak lapel, and I've seen some wonderful vintage illustrations where there appear to be buttonholes on both lapels!

Here's William Holden in 1954 sporting a white dinner jacket with a shawl collar that features a buttonhole (not 1930s, I know).
View attachment 1737486
I believe that this a publicity still for “Sabrina”, in which he co-starred with Humphrey Bogart and Audrey Hepburn.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First Formal Friday of the year...
IMG_4939.jpeg

Nothing new here except a new tie and new formal slippers from Mount Street Shoe Company. And, below, with my favorite accessory:

IMG_4955.jpeg

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just ordered a new bow tie and cummerbund from Le Noeud Papillon. Figure I have a new tuxedo getting made, might as well get new black tie accessories too.
Good choice.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good choice.
I wasn’t sure if I was supposed to do anything other than just add to cart and checkout online, so that’s all I did. Figured I wanted satin to match my tuxedo facing, but if I wanted any other shape tie I can always buy more.

It took me until checking out to realize the prices are in AUD and are much more reasonable than I thought at first glance. Would have otherwise ordered earlier

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

What do you spend most of your clothing budget on?

• Outerwear

• Tailoring

• Sportswear

• Footwear

• Accessories

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truketodiet