• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Andy57 when are you getting a silk faced overcoat to pair with these DJs?
Well, where I live I have virtually no need to wear an overcoat when I am in black tie. And when I do need an overcoat, I have several perfectly acceptable ones from which to chose. So, I'll leave the specialized overcoat to you, my friend!

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, where I live I have virtually no need to wear an overcoat when I am in black tie. And when I do need an overcoat, I have several perfectly acceptable ones from which to chose. So, I'll leave the specialized overcoat to you, my friend!
Haha I have the same problem here with 35 40 degree summers coming up. I would like a silk cape which i think you have but i barely get use of my overcoats during winter due to the lack of a cloakroom in most establishments. Dont really want to leave my overcoat lying around on some chair whilst busting some moves!

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black tie for the dog days of summer
20211127_192537.jpg

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha I have the same problem here with 35 40 degree summers coming up. I would like a silk cape which i think you have but i barely get use of my overcoats during winter due to the lack of a cloakroom in most establishments. Dont really want to leave my overcoat lying around on some chair whilst busting some moves!
I have a cloak, but it is not silk. It's actually a very heavy wool. Heavy as a cloth, but also there is a lot more cloth in the cloak than in a regular overcoat, which is non-intuitive.

If I have to wear an overcoat with black tie, I'll usually wear my dark navy double breasted cashmere coat. But I have worn a trench coat before now.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a cloak, but it is not silk. It's actually a very heavy wool. Heavy as a cloth, but also there is a lot more cloth in the cloak than in a regular overcoat, which is non-intuitive.

If I have to wear an overcoat with black tie, I'll usually wear my dark navy double breasted cashmere coat. But I have worn a trench coat before now.
Although its "against the rules" I always preferred wearing trench coats with black tie rather than overcoats. More practical for the winters we have in Perth which is always raining and I think it looks more devil may care than an overcoat...which is a good attitude to have with Black tie!

Though if I had a choice, I think an overcoat with an astrakhan collar or a full length midnight bridge coat would look sicks

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although its "against the rules" I always preferred wearing trench coats with black tie rather than overcoats. More practical for the winters we have in Perth which is always raining and I think it looks more devil may care than an overcoat...which is a good attitude to have with Black tie!

Though if I had a choice, I think an overcoat with an astrakhan collar or a full length midnight bridge coat would look sicks
Such a coat would certainly make a statement! Your suggestion of a full length bridge coat makes me think that my Edward Sexton greatcoat (which I think is black, but which might be a very dark blue—I haven't seen it since last winter) would fit that bill very nicely.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nice! I think if I got a colored one, it would need to be fairly light. The issue with my blue one is that it sort of cuts me in half by being too much of a contrast.
Don't forget-- you have a bespoke jacket that won't let too much of the waist show even when not buttoned.

Last edited:

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't forget-- you have a bespoke jacket that won't let too much of the waist show even when not buttoned.
Thanks, but I'm not sure of your point. If I'm wearing a single-breasted jacket, I have to have a waist covering. I'm not nearly enough of a celebrity to think that I don't.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes. But a colored cummerbund won't dominate the view, even if it really doesn't match with anything.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excuse the bathroom setting, but it was late and this was the only place in our home with sufficiently bright lighting. ?

The first black tie outfit is for my own wedding this coming Saturday. Going with a very formal look: One-button single-breasted peak lapel dinner jacket, pique-front shirt with a detachable wing collar, solid black self-tied bow tie, white marcella waistcoat, and patent leather opera pumps. The sleeves on the jacket are not quite as short as they appear in these photos! ?

The second fit is for my future brother-in-law’s wedding on New Year’s Eve: Shawl collar dinner jacket, pleated shirt with a point collar, self-tied black bow tie with white pinstripes, black cummerbund (which has slipped at bit!) and patent leather opera pumps.

Attachments

• DE44F225-727F-45A5-8F2B-043B4FE23DC2.jpeg
    DE44F225-727F-45A5-8F2B-043B4FE23DC2.jpeg
    180.6 KB · Views: 87
  • 7D2B2894-77EC-445C-8D07-7ECD55DF20C8.jpeg
    7D2B2894-77EC-445C-8D07-7ECD55DF20C8.jpeg
    205.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 9ACE2B8C-510F-4084-B1A3-8C847D1A15B5.jpeg
    9ACE2B8C-510F-4084-B1A3-8C847D1A15B5.jpeg
    195.5 KB · Views: 95
  • A8B8C686-60A5-44FC-B57C-4CEC9B243428.jpeg
    A8B8C686-60A5-44FC-B57C-4CEC9B243428.jpeg
    182.9 KB · Views: 104

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Interesting move on the white waistcoat. You don't see that too often, but it makes a lot of sense.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is a bad photo, but it’s from NYE a few years ago and I had other things on my mind. I occasionally wear this white waistcoat look, but only with the detachable collar shirt as a throwback to the early days of black tie when men wore their white tie accessories with black tie. I believe that well into the 1960’s Emily Post referred to this as the most formal expression of black tie.
DDFF30FF-03BF-437E-8127-CD56E77F150C.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads