• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope you enjoy your event. As mentioned by others, do post pictures!
I'll try to. I do think that I may be upstaged by my better half, though, like you sometimes are 😉

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll try to. I do think that I may be upstaged by my better half, though, like you sometimes are 😉
You mean like this?
IMG_1437.jpeg

Which is exactly how it should be! And if it is, take a moment to reflect on your great good fortune. 😊 When she walks in the room, ain't nobody looking at me!

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FYI. My tailor did not have the Holland & Sherry book so I went with the bottle green from Harrison’s. The lapels will be self-facing and shawl on this commission.

Idesofmarch17

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked an answered in this thread - but for my own wedding - patent leather oxfords, opera pumps, or slippers (probably patent or highly-shined calfskin)? The wedding is fully inside during late winter/early spring in a 800 year old building. Wedding itself will be black-tie optional for guests (most will wear a tux, but I know a few won't). I own a pair of patent leather oxfords, but thinking about having slippers made - however I have heard they are less formal. Thoughts?

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked an answered in this thread - but for my own wedding - patent leather oxfords, opera pumps, or slippers (probably patent or highly-shined calfskin)? The wedding is fully inside during late winter/early spring in a 800 year old building. Wedding itself will be black-tie optional for guests (most will wear a tux, but I know a few won't). I own a pair of patent leather oxfords, but thinking about having slippers made - however I have heard they are less formal. Thoughts?
Considering the occasion, and the venue, I'd stick with the oxfords. That's my own taste.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever gone for the midnight mini herringbone for evening formalwear and what are their thoughts about it. Weighting that up and a mohair barathea for a tailcoat

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today is a tale of one city, but two outfits. This noontime, I spent 90 minutes in the dentist's chair, as he filled my root canals; this evening, I will be posing as a member of New York society (of which I am an entertaining imposter, at best) at the Frick Autumn Dinner. Two outfits, one day.

Daytime:

Leather jacket - Andrew Marc
Polo shirt - Brooks Brothers
Levi's 511's
Magnanni boots

Evening:

Evening jacket - New & Lingwood
Tuxedo shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Seigo, NYC
Stud set - Deakin & Francis, London
Vintage cummerbund
Tuxedo trousers - Ede & Ravenscroft
Shoes - Magnanni for Saks Fifth Avenue
Topcoat & scarf - Turnbull & Asser
Homburg - Selentino
Face mask - New & Lingwood

IMG_5510.JPG
IMG_5511.JPG
IMG_5513.JPG
IMG_5514.JPG
IMG_5515.JPG
IMG_5516.JPG
IMG_5517.JPG
IMG_5518.JPG

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Leiker

Reaction score
Today is a tale of one city, but two outfits. This noontime, I spent 90 minutes in the dentist's chair, as he filled my root canals; this evening, I will be posing as a member of New York society (of which I am an entertaining imposter, at best) at the Frick Autumn Dinner. Two outfits, one day.

Daytime:

Leather jacket - Andrew Marc
Polo shirt - Brooks Brothers
Levi's 511's
Magnanni boots

Evening:

Evening jacket - New & Lingwood
Tuxedo shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Seigo, NYC
Stud set - Deakin & Francis, London
Vintage cummerbund
Tuxedo trousers - Ede & Ravenscroft
Shoes - Magnanni for Saks Fifth Avenue
Topcoat & scarf - Turnbull & Asser
Homburg - Selentino
Face mask - New & Lingwood

View attachment 1687860 View attachment 1687861 View attachment 1687862 View attachment 1687863 View attachment 1687864 View attachment 1687865 View attachment 1687866 View attachment 1687867
That evening jacket is spectacular.

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
None of us will ever be this cool. It's getting kind of harder to tell where Jason Momoa the actor stops and where walking waterpark rockstar Arthur Curry starts, and every rule he flouts just feels like Aquaman / Khal Drogo / Conan the Barbarian slipping out.

Henry Poole is just completely dunking on the rest of the pack right now.

Canadianguy

Reaction score
None of us will ever be this cool. It's getting kind of harder to tell where Jason Momoa the actor stops and where walking waterpark rockstar Arthur Curry starts, and every rule he flouts just feels like Aquaman / Khal Drogo / Conan the Barbarian slipping out.

Henry Poole is just completely dunking on the rest of the pack right now.
Put a shirt on dude.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever gone for the midnight mini herringbone for evening formalwear and what are their thoughts about it. Weighting that up and a mohair barathea for a tailcoat
I would not suggest herringbone or any pattern or texture, especially for a tailcoat. In my opinion, white tie, unlike black tie, leaves no room for interpretation.

Featured Sponsor

LARGE METAL WATCHES WITH TAILORING

• Yes, I’m tacky like that.

• No way José! Dress watch with leather strap for me!

• No watch at all.

Results are only viewable after voting.