1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mafoofan, Nov 22, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

They certainly could afford it. Yes, it was for charity, but they auctioned off several magnums of Roederer Cristal for $10K each. Gulp!

2. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

That looks like the very particular color of pyrope garnet -- is that what they are? I think they are beautiful, though a bold departure. I probably wouldn't wear them without matching links, honestly. Might seem like the links had gone missing....

3. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Interesting. It's purposeful for me. I really don't like the idea of everything matching.

4. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Gorgeous. I'm jealous.

5. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Money doesn't buy taste or class. The Donald is a perfect example of that.

6. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Me neither. Those studs are such eyecatchers, I think matching cuff links would be OTT.

7. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

Personally I prefer no color at all with black tie, but these are subtle enough to still be tasteful.

8. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Those studs are nice.

9. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Senior member

I was referring to the fact that unlike other parts of FL with lots of money PB is old money and therefore probably filled with more people who stick to tradition on many ways. I don't imagine an equally well-heeled group in Miami Beach would be dressed the same.

And I'd rather give away a $10k donation than admit I'd paid $10k for Cristal...

10. TimelesStyle

Beautiful, just the right amount of color for black tie. I can't quite tell, are the backs white gold? I would imagine a set of simple oval chain-link cufflinks in white gold would be just the right item to finish it off.

FWIW I never match studs and cufflinks for BT. I've had various sets of inexpensive studs over the years but always wear my simple yellow gold Tiffany links that were a bar mitzvah present from my folks more than 15 years ago.

11. mafoofan

They're sterling silver. I wear ivory cushion-shaped cufflinks with them--but the, I wear those with pretty much everything.

This photo was previously posted in black and white, but I just got the color version. So, here they are in action:

[​IMG]

12. TimelesStyle

That's a great dinner suit; it's midnight, is it not? I think I'd like the red studs better with black simply because midnight DJ with black tie with red studs is one color too many for me. However things always look quite different in person and you seemed to have a much more finely tuned pallet for color than I. Most of all, though, love the 4x1 DB shawl.

13. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Foo, I wasnt sure I would like them, but they look great in action.

14. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I think they're a little too big—but then the lapels, bow tie, and lapel flower are all pretty big too so maybe it all works out.

I do like the color.

15. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

16. mafoofan

Yep. All groomsmen wore the same flower.

I'd never wear a flower to a wedding these days unless in the wedding party and instructed. Whether we like it or not, it is a signifier of things and I don't want to break protocol.

17. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

My links don't match my studs either.

18. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

After the ceremony I pluck one from the ceremony arrangements or from the table centerpieces. I am sure that is bad taste, but no one has ever stopped me or complained (to my face).

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  19. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Oh, I'd say it depends on the type and size of the flower. Having a tiny cornflower or daisy in your lapel won't make anyone think you're the groom or best man. It's just a festive dash of colour for a special occasion.

1 person likes this.
  20. mafoofan

That really won't fly in the US. The groom, best man, and groomsmen all wear flowers chosen by the bride and groom to designate them as such. Whatever you are wearing might wind up being the same or similar. Also, wearing flowers in your lapel, even to festive events, is highly unusual here. It would be conspicuous--a lot of other guests would assume you are serving some special function.