• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fine by me. From the sounds of it, I would have considered dressing it down even more.
Actually started off with a 1950's ivory linen dinner jacket but I've been working out like crazy to try and shed Covid weight and I ripped out of the back.... Good thing I had a spare. Anyway the burgundy velvet shoes made more sense before I had to swap jackets

Attachments

• 226D2C69-850A-4F69-A8A5-A2F175960F04.jpeg
    226D2C69-850A-4F69-A8A5-A2F175960F04.jpeg
    115.7 KB · Views: 118

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The pic is actually something resembling a smoking jacket. Slightly casual, and soft fabric. Maybe the patch pockets are a little Brooks-blazerish, but for really private wear after dinner who gives a crap?
Yes it's basically a smoking jacket. It's just made up with more conventional cloth. I will also caution that it does not look good if you have say hypothetically gained about 20 pounds over the last year. Smoking jackets that are tied at the waist only look good if you are thin, in my humble opinion

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually started off with a 1950's ivory linen dinner jacket but I've been working out like crazy to try and shed Covid weight and I ripped out of the back.... Good thing I had a spare. Anyway the burgundy velvet shoes made more sense before I had to swap jackets

Well, looks like progress to me! haha

By the way, I agree with your comments about waistcoats/vests. I like mine to fit tightly, so custom is a must.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only thing I disagree with here is the vents. I've always gotten vents my dinner jackets, makes them easier to wear in my opinion.
I know people say that, and for those people, like yourself, it must be true. But I am aware of no discernible difference in the way a ventless dinner jacket feels versus a double vented suit jacket. Well, okay, one difference is that vents make it easier to put one's hand in one's pocket. I think the line of a ventless jacket is more flattering, so much so that I have considered having a suit jacket made ventless.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know people say that, and for those people, like yourself, it must be true. But I am aware of no discernible difference in the way a ventless dinner jacket feels versus a double vented suit jacket. Well, okay, one difference is that vents make it easier to put one's hand in one's pocket. I think the line of a ventless jacket is more flattering, so much so that I have considered having a suit jacket made ventless.
Come on over to the dark side Andy.
With only a handful of exceptions all my suit jackets and odd jackets have their vents closed.
I don’t put my hands in my pockets (OK maybe only briefly to retrieve keys) so it’s no detriment to me and I like the unbroken unrumpled back.
You’ll get your detractors of course but I doubt that will bother you. People need to remember that THAT suit in ‘North By Northwest’ was ventless!

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Come on over to the dark side Andy.
With only a handful of exceptions all my suit jackets and odd jackets have their vents closed.
I don’t put my hands in my pockets (OK maybe only briefly to retrieve keys) so it’s no detriment to me and I like the unbroken unrumpled back.
You’ll get your detractors of course but I doubt that will bother you. People need to remember that THAT suit in ‘North By Northwest’ was ventless!

I may well.

Bogart's suits in Casablanca and The Maltese Falcon were also all ventless. I like the look.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To those who are bargain hunting for odd silk facings..
Screenshot_20210624-203530_Gmail.jpg

Reactions: psb

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To those who are bargain hunting for odd silk facings.. View attachment 1629599

What company is that? It’s not clear from the screenshot. Do you ever feel like you spend so much on tailoring, yet don’t get the best fabrics Bc you’re bargain hunting? Like hiring a master chef and getting less than optimal ingredients.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
R
What company is that? It’s not clear from the screenshot. Do you ever feel like you spend so much on tailoring, yet don’t get the best fabrics Bc you’re bargain hunting? Like hiring a master chef and getting less than optimal ingredients.
Richard James Weldon. Sometimes it does feel like that but it so happens when a bargain does pop up it's pretty much exactly what I want because it's a rare fabric of some sort which doesn't interest the general population ie dupioni. I don't bargain hunt for everything, it has always been more of a coincidental serendipitous exercise. Sometimes I pay full price.. sometimes I pay **** all. It's a balance

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
R

Richard James Weldon. Sometimes it does feel like that but it so happens when a bargain does pop up it's pretty much exactly what I want because it's a rare fabric of some sort which doesn't interest the general population ie dupioni. I don't bargain hunt for everything, it has always been more of a coincidental serendipitous exercise. Sometimes I pay full price.. sometimes I pay **** all. It's a balance

Fair enough. I wasn’t aware Richard James Weldon had an online store you could buy from. I tried buying my own lining before. Wasn’t worth it haha.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fair enough. I wasn’t aware Richard James Weldon had an online store you could buy from. I tried buying my own lining before. Wasn’t worth it haha.
Wasn't an online store. That was an email offer sent to me. I registered myself as a customer there. Better places to buy lining imo but depends on what you want. Theres plenty of silk linings for fur coats on the cheap out there which I discovered as a result of bargain hunting

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wasn't an online store. That was an email offer sent to me. I registered myself as a customer there. Better places to buy lining imo but depends on what you want. Theres plenty of silk linings for fur coats on the cheap out there which I discovered as a result of bargain hunting

Imo. Bemberg is superior to silk for linings though. I was thinking facings, but green and red aren’t appropriate facings for any garment (Atleast that I can think of). Is there a link to see the sale?

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are correct, some would wear that & be appropriate. However, I, personally, don't like the look.

I think it works there because the rest of the jacket is a red velvet. As far as silk linings, I have a couple in old suits and simple black/cream. They certainly feel luxurious to me - maybe not the most physically comfortable, but mental comfort is its own reward.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads