• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

SJTM

Reaction score
IRT the drop of an SS tux, aren't their suits usually a drop 6? I would think the pants, provided they fit your frame well, could easily be adjusted at the waist to accommodate.
CS said black can be purchased as separates; midnight blue is a 3 piece with waistcoat in matching fabric. Has a 6" drop but enough fabric to adjust the waist by up to 2". Only sold in even sizes.

Looking forward to visiting their shop. I have lost 28 lbs since the beginning of covid - working out with a personal trainer 3x per week and very focused on healthy diet. Now that the world is planning to become social again, time for some new clothes.

BPL Esq

Reaction score
CS said black can be purchased as separates; midnight blue is a 3 piece with waistcoat in matching fabric. Has a 6" drop but enough fabric to adjust the waist by up to 2". Only sold in even sizes.

Looking forward to visiting their shop. I have lost 28 lbs since the beginning of covid - working out with a personal trainer 3x per week and very focused on healthy diet. Now that the world is planning to become social again, time for some new clothes.
I'm in a similar boat. Down about 30lbs since January and very much looking forward to summer and some new clothes (or just tucking shirts in and feeling really good about it).

Mark from Plano

Lifestyle change - no homo
Reaction score
I also purchased a pair of the BB patent shoes online (had a linen jacket in the shopping cart in any event). Will see how they look / feel in person and then decide. No details on construction so I assume it is blake stitched. Thanks for the heads up on these.
I have these shoes. The quality is good. $200 is a great price. I also own a pair of BB calfskin opera pumps. I tend to alternate between the two for formalwear.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Here's a picture of one of the gold standards for me instead! View attachment 1621772
The bottom third could be just a bit straighter/narrower before it knuckles in to the button. But very close.

Shawls are hard. They are like the Ivy League 3-button. Many versions, but only some reach the Platonic ideal.

SJTM

Reaction score
I believe SS is better made than those other options. You absolutely cannot go wrong with the classic SS peak lapel tux. It's a great mix of classic without looking too dated.

I don't get the hate for patent leather, but to each their own. I'd avoid captoes like the AE PAs - they will look odd, and will bring down the look IMO. Wholecuts would look better. Even better are these BB patent leather shoes - plus, they're on 50% off sale (plus 3% cashback from ebates!) which is the cheapest I've seen them and a pretty good deal.

Cummerbund vs waistcoat - up to you. 95% of people will probably be in cummerbunds (or nothing...) but both looks are nice. And yes, the fabric should match.
BB patent leather shoes arrived today. Actually quite nice. They are oxford plain toes, not derbys, so the lines are very clean and subtle ( if patent leather can ever be subtle). Nicely shaped toebox - closer to an American last rather than English, but overall a very good look. Single oak leather sole with nicely finished heel.

Thanks again for the heads up on these

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in a similar boat. Down about 30lbs since January and very much looking forward to summer and some new clothes (or just tucking shirts in and feeling really good about it).
Some of us went in the opposite direction

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Summer Loafers: With or Without Socks?

• With socks

• No socks

Results are only viewable after voting.