• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

recondite

Reaction score
oops

Last edited:

johnvw

Reaction score
The bottom one is just about right wrong - a bow tie should be the same width as that of your eyes face to be correct!
bigstar%5B1%5D.gif

FTFY.

No matter how narrow the ribbon, the bow of the knot must be as wide as your face, or it will look wrong. The end. The only exception to this rule is a bolo tie, which does not create a bow at all.

A bulky face, looks best with a bulky bow, but a narrow ribbon will be acceptable if the bow is wide enough to match the face, regardless of lapel width or any other factor.This is why the lapels in the example upon which you commented are actually outstandingly good, where the bowtie is horrible.

The lapels are best matched to the width of the space between face and the edge of the shoulder; fashion be damned. This is doubly true with peak lapels compared to shawl lapels.

Stop being fashionable and start being stylish or dressing to look your best, and you will never again worry about looking like any of the above disasters.

It would be better to dress in costume such as 1930's white tie or 1970's tuxedo regalia if the fashion suits your style, then to try fit yourself to any contemporary fashion.

Well-said. This seems to explain why I find the tie in the bottom picture too small. Thank you for this post.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The more I look at it the more I think that the issue with Cooper's bow isn't the width, rather the shape. A bow of that shape, regardless of size, looks like it would be more at home with a smoking jacket or at the very least a shawl lapel, while Cooper's peak jacket is better suited to the more angular bows we usually see. Put a bow with sharp, triangular sides on him, even at that width, and the whole look changes, IMO.

I also think he may need to adjust the length in back a bit. Notice that the back parts seem to be narrower than the front, so he either needs to pull the whole thing tighter or else give himself a little more length to work with.

Last edited:

Persephone

Reaction score

Yes, the ones I've been to in DC have usually been white tie optional, and even where the invite only says "White Tie" an overwhelming majority turns up in black tie (me included). I've been debating getting a set of white tie attire for the longest time, but have not had the courage to take the plunge. Maybe if i keep going to these balls, I should get one after all.

Also, as someone who enjoys Viennese waltz, the ultimate dream would be to go to Vienna during the ball season, and THAT would undoubtedly justify getting white tie attire (but that's presumably another thread).

Well, then I shall dance a waltz in your honour at the Ball der Offiziere in Vienna's Hofburg this coming Friday, 18 January. I am leaving in a few hours to depart for Vienna via Istanbul.

Btw, my husband's formal gloves are made of kid leather and lined with silk, as are mine. Although I have both lined and unlined opera gloves. A lady's dress should never be completely backless, and even with a strapless dress, which I wear frequently, your right hand will be well below her shoulder blade, and not come into direct contact with her skin, but rather with the fabric of her gown.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The more I look at it the more I think that the issue with Cooper's bow isn't the width, rather the shape. A bow of that shape, regardless of size, looks like it would be more at home with a smoking jacket or at the very least a shawl lapel, while Cooper's peak jacket is better suited to the more angular bows we usually see. Put a bow with sharp, triangular sides on him, even at that width, and the whole look changes, IMO.

Here's a similar look with a bow tie that works, is barely wider than the outside of the eyes, and isn't clownish like the ties Tom Ford seems to prefer.

Last edited:

Persephone

Reaction score
Accidental double post, while waiting at the airport for delayed aeroplane to Vienna.

Last edited:

Persephone

Reaction score

Is one of those a Hefeweizen?

Sorry to deviate from the thread topic, but the beer glasses (not your spectacles) are all wrong. My mum is from Bavaria, the origin of Hefe- and Kristallweißbier, which also comes in "hell" versus "dunkel", and it is supposed to be served in tall glasses:

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here's a similar look with a bow tie that works, is barely wider than the outside of the eyes, and isn't clownish like the ties Tom Ford seems to prefer.

OK proportions on the bow tie, but now I have to say that the lapels are a bit big for his torso.

Where is Cary Grant when you need him?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads