• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going back to the ivory dinner jacket discussion... any idea where to find a decent OTR option? Looks like I will need one for July, Covid permitting. I don't have time to get one made.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going back to the ivory dinner jacket discussion... any idea where to find a decent OTR option? Looks like I will need one for July, Covid permitting. I don't have time to get one made.
Off the top of my head Mason and sons...but costly...close to bespoke pricing

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends where you are. If you are in the UK, maybe, maybe Ede & Ravenscroft or Gieves & Hawkes. In the US (or the Europe, too, for that matter) you could try Suit Supply.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Formal Friday #6. I'm all out of dinner jackets. Well, that I wear regularly, anyway.
IMG_3986.jpeg

IMG_3994.jpeg

IMG_3998.jpeg

3B700800-ACE6-4090-9A46-502A4C7D1B25.jpeg

The red bow tie is not, of course, canonical, but f&ck it.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I wanted to wear a single breasted shawl as a three piece any recommendations for the style of waistcoat? I want something with lapels but cant decide what style ie SB, DB, squared off or shawl?

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I wanted to wear a single breasted shawl as a three piece any recommendations for the style of waistcoat? I want something with lapels but cant decide what style ie SB, DB, squared off or shawl?

Shawl lapels = cummerbund

Peak lapels = vest

JJ Katz

Reaction score
I dunno... shawl+shawl seems too much of a good thing. I would think DB would be a bit of a solecism with a shawl DJ. The Cary Grant picture there looks like no lapel SB waistcoat, if I had to guess.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd recommend single-breasted, u-shaped, no lapels. I have a midnight blue shawl collared jacket with which I do wear a waistcoat. But, to @lordsuperb's point, more than half the time I wear a cummerbund, instead.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've found that lapels go well with DBs while no lapels go well with SBs. In fact, I don't think that I've ever deviated from this rule.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When it doubt, go full Casablanca:
IMG_4189.jpeg

IMG_4188.jpeg

IMG_4201.jpeg

This is formal Friday #7, and I only have six dinner jackets that I wear regularly. So, we're on repeat from here on out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads