• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: Castangia from SARTORIALE

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction is for a Castangia Suit or Sportcoat from SARTORIALE Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

steezin

Reaction score
You can if you want to. Personally, I think it's regrettable. Assuming you've got your own tuxedo, why wouldn't you buy a decent shirt to go with it?
Thanks. I am just wondering why it seems to be a trend for typically well dressed celebrities to do this, despite their infinite budgets.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I am just wondering why it seems to be a trend for typically well dressed celebrities to do this, despite their infinite budgets.
Because proper tuxedos (not my opinion) are boring, and don't stand out. Lots of celebrity culture is about doing just that.

The Chai

Reaction score
I quite like my heavy cream linen cocktail cuff shirts as my dinner shirts...they have regular buttons but that's because i dislike cufflinks or studs...saying that I'm having one linen shirt with french cuffs made

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand traditionally the shirts have stud or covered buttons, however I have seen many people wear normal mother of pearl buttons, including Prince William, David Beckham etc.
My Budd silk evening shirt has buttons.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's just convenience and lack of time. When I've done it it was always because I didn't think ahead and get the shirt sorted in time. I found it surprisingly hard to source a decent RTW shirt in a pinch. My tailor's current turnaround time is measured in months...

psb

Reaction score
What does the community here think about wearing a dark blue velvet tuxedo jacket in combination with black trousers ? And what color should a cummerbund have for this combination ? Black or dark blue bow tie ?

The Chai

Reaction score
What does the community here think about wearing a dark blue velvet tuxedo jacket in combination with black trousers ? And what color should a cummerbund have for this combination ? Black or dark blue bow tie ?
I think the fabric and color contrast would look good

Reactions: psb

psb

Reaction score
So I was wearing this rig tonight and went to get gas...whilst paying for fuel the attendant asked me ‘who are you driving tonight?’ So much facepalm...such epic fail
Anyway, continue to wear your style, it looks very good and elegant. It happened to me in the opera wearing a tuxedo, that people asked me to bring a drink, because they thought I belong to the staff 🙄.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 29 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 141 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 265 32.7%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 129 15.9%
  • 31 - 40