• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or linen, if you want wide pleats or a bib from a more conventional cotton.
Ditto, I have many linen shirts I use for formal events. I prefer them over regular cotton...cotton be boring...

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Boring can be a good thing. But linen handles humidity much, much better.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boring can be a good thing. But linen handles humidity much, much better.
That's an interesting point. I'm going on a cruise to Cuba in six months. I'm certainly taking my voile dress shirt, but was also going to take my more boring poplin/marcella shirts, too. I'm going to be in London soon and one of my errands is to stop by Emma Willis, this time to talk linen shirts. I think I'll ask them about a linen dress shirt.

Meanwhile, this was last night:
IMG_2687.jpg

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have two in my academic arsenal: an all-linen with French fly and cocktail cuffs from Ascot Chang, for the more casual DB days, and a semi-stiff Marcella one (bib, cuffs, collar) with a linen body from Budd. That one will get its debut on Thursday night, assuming it isn't too warm to wear the SB dinner suit. And if it does turn out to be warm inside at the Uproar, the linen will make it more tolerable.

A 1" pleat in linen could be very useful with white jacket/cummerbund.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don’t mind me. I’m just adverse to the color white in anything but linen, silk or a cotton fresco weave for a shirt. Like white poplin scares me. That said I wished they made linen oxfords though that sounds like an oxymoron.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1168884 Just got back from meeting with Joe Hemrajani of MyTailor. Wound up commissioning a cream dinner jacket in a wonderful Silk/Cashmere fabric from Loro Piana. Went with self-facing peak lapels. I had really thought to do shawl on this one, but Joe talked me into the peak.

Very excited to get this back in a few weeks and see how it turns out.
I got my jacket made up in the cream Proposte Giacche "Summer" fabric. I'll post pictures over in the Hemrajani thread, as it's not a dinner jacket. But, it's a gorgeous jacket and I'm very pleased with it. I wore it for the first time yesterday.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I got my jacket made up in the cream Proposte Giacche "Summer" fabric. I'll post pictures over in the Hemrajani thread, as it's not a dinner jacket. But, it's a gorgeous jacket and I'm very pleased with it. I wore it for the first time yesterday.

Looking forward to seeing it. Mine’s still 3-4 weeks away I suspect.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Borrow from those old Esquire pics-- get white trs and wear it as a summer black-tie rig.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Save it for the beach club or cruise to the islands.

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I got a stupid good deal on a midnight blue tux jacket that fits perfectly from Jay Kos

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NWOT-Jay-k...978899?hash=item23bcf43f13:g:QBAAAOSwI0tc4DSE

How hard would it be to find trousers that matched? Fools errand? I'm leaning towards returning. don't know what I was thinking

In my eyes it is also possible to wear a midnight blue jacket with black pants. Not the most formal combination, but if you attende enough of black tie events it can give you some variation.

Edit: any fabric code on the tag?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads