• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I realize you've decided to go a different way, but I figured I'd weigh in anyways...

My first reaction is: you have regular "tuxedo" trousers, why not wear them? My second reaction is: I would bet money that no one would notice if you wore regular midnight blue trousers. additionally, I would think that a linen dinner jacket would be much easier to dress down and wear as a regular jacket than a dupioni one would be.
I think after the midnight DB DJ I will indeed go for a cream linen DJ. As for the regular DJ trousers I have this irrational fear I'll wear them out quickly which kinda goes contrary to my philosophy of abusing partay clothes...and black tie attire is after all partay clothes.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On another note... I will probably get ridicule for this question but what do people think of the black turtleneck DJ look. I regularly wear turtlenecks with my suits...more so than dress shirts, especially during winters

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want to do different, this is how you do different:

andy-poupart-nicholas-atgemis-bow-ties-smoking-velvet-jacket-le-noeud-papillon-sydney_800x800.jpg

I've met few men that pull off the "fun black tie" idea better than Nicholas Atgemis, but then again he is an artist and a big R Romantic, and of course Aussie, so it works. It is so damn intentional (with a literal peacock), as intentional as Andy's perfect classicism.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In Perth?

You can achieve it with a bespoke DB and turtleneck, if you must... the silk facings are too much. If you like that style you may enjoy the instagram of Husbands Paris.

Depending on the interpretation, Bond *was* the villain in many of the movies. More here for the visually strong of stomach. Book length in all caps...

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think after the midnight DB DJ I will indeed go for a cream linen DJ. As for the regular DJ trousers I have this irrational fear I'll wear them out quickly which kinda goes contrary to my philosophy of abusing partay clothes...and black tie attire is after all partay clothes.
I wouldn't worry about wearing them out, honestly. Even I don't wear formal trousers enough for that to be anything other than a long-term issue.

On another note... I will probably get ridicule for this question but what do people think of the black turtleneck DJ look. I regularly wear turtlenecks with my suits...more so than dress shirts, especially during winters
Don't. Seriously. Just don't.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol Mariano has the Don corleone cran necker lapel. Arguably that only looks good on the godfather

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore a blackwatch tux with a turtleneck and velvet slippers to an anniversary party, but that’s about the only place I would.

WillingToLearn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Few quick questions for a guy that hasn't worn a tux in years, but is excited to have an occasion to commission one and wear it. Going with a midnight navy, SB, shawl collar (big sweeping shawl, not a little wimpy one).

I assume black is the default for the shawl facing? A
Any particular fabric recommended against a kid mohair/wool midnight navy?
Black tie and cummerbund (i may eventually get a vest, but won't have time now) are the standard still with midnight navy?
Any particular recommendations for a good, almost floppy bow tie? i am a big guy, so i think the tie needs to be relatively wide - like 8-9cm?
Does the cummerbund need to match the fabric of the tie if the color, relative sheen, etc. is close?
What do you all prefer in term of shirts - plain or ribbed? i don't see myself getting a bibbed?
Shirt fabric - a standard lightweight poplin OK for summer? i don't want a think twill

TIA

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Few quick questions for a guy that hasn't worn a tux in years, but is excited to have an occasion to commission one and wear it. Going with a midnight navy, SB, shawl collar (big sweeping shawl, not a little wimpy one).

Yes, but it is possible to source midnight blue silk, either satin (which is what I used) or grosgrain

Nothing wrong with mohair/wool.

Black tie and cummerbund (i may eventually get a vest, but won't have time now) are the standard still with midnight navy?
Yes, but, again, it is perfectly possible to source midnight blue accessories. I recommend Budd, but there are others.

Any particular recommendations for a good, almost floppy bow tie? i am a big guy, so i think the tie needs to be relatively wide - like 8-9cm?
Le Noued Papillon

Does the cummerbund need to match the fabric of the tie if the color, relative sheen, etc. is close?
Yes. the facings, tie, and cummerbund should all be either satin or grosgrain.

What do you all prefer in term of shirts - plain or ribbed? i don't see myself getting a bibbed?
Entirely up to you. Why not get a Marcella-front (what you call a bibbed shirt)? I honestly wouldn't go with a plain shirt--what's the point?

Shirt fabric - a standard lightweight poplin OK for summer? i don't want a think twill
Yes. Voile is another excellent option for a very lightweight shirt.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TIA

I did a blue satin shawl lapel on top of a midnight mohair for my rig. But I like Andy's suggestion for silk!!!! Sea island cotton for a shirt wears cool against the skin but its expensive. Have you thought about asking @gshen for a larger bow tie?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes. Voile is another excellent option for a very lightweight shirt.
Or linen, if you want wide pleats or a bib from a more conventional cotton.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads